Tranny fix

2000 Ford Winstar trans O/D light flashes

in warm weather and will reset when motor

is turned off the on. O/D will not flash

in cold weather. Fluid full and clean. Has

100,000 miles on van.

Usually, a flashing o/d light indicates an electronic fault in the transmission. But, why take my word for it? Open the Owner’s Manual and see what it states regarding this situation.

If the manual concurs that this in an electronic fault, I would suggest getting it checked sooner, rather than later, as an electronic fault can become a mechanical problem–which is much more expensive to fix.

Incidentally, DO NOT go to AAMCO, Lee Myles, Cottman, or any of the other transmission chains unless you want to risk both unnecessary repair costs and poor quality repair work.

VDCdriver has given you very good advice. The owner’s manual of the 2000 Windstar van that I used to own was very specific to have this checked out immediately. Of course, the owner’s manual said to have it evaluated immediately by a Ford dealer. I think a good, independent transmission shop would be a better bet. My son owned a 1999 Ford Windstar van (very similar) and did have this condition occur. He procrastinated and had to have a transmission rebuild.

Get it scanned. The computer has picked up a fault. Get the codes read and post back with them and we can go from there…

transman