New tesla electric charging stations at the supermarket. Edumicate me

Seriously? I don’t intend to get political, but you don’t think government policies can raise or lower energy costs? Shutting down pipelines doesn’t have any impact on the price of oil? Didn’t Obama state that electricity rates would “necessarily skyrocket” due to some of his policies?

I mean whether you agree with trying to move away from fossil fuels or various other political polices or not…you don’t think those policies affect energy prices?

2 Likes

If pipelines have been shut-down, how is it that US-based oil companies continue to export hundreds of thousands of barrels of oil each month?

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=MCREXUS1&f=M

(Hint: It’s all about profiteering. And, I say that as the holder of a large number of shares in Chevron, Exxon-Mobil, and Marathon.)

You mean like opening oil reserves to keep gas prices down?

[quote=“VDCdriver, post:64, topic:180908”]
If pipelines have been shut-down, how is it that US-based oil companies continue to export hundreds of thousands of barrels of oil each month?
[

Yes, we export oil. We also import more than we export, so I’m not sure how that really changes the fact that an administration’s policies can directly affect energy prices, one way or the other.

Certainly!

1 Like

Inflation is caused by the decline of purchasing power over time ???
.Inflation IS the decline of purchasing power over time.

1 Like

They can, and did not in this case. OPEC did it. Blaming the government for all our problems doesn’t make sense. The party not in power blames the policies of the party in power to get your vote. They might cause short term inflation as we had after the 2008 real estate depression, but that was done with the specific intent of boosting the economy. It abated when the Federal Reserve tightened money policy. That’s the hope this time, but we haven’t gotten through this mess to see how well it worked. The main reason I say that the federal government isn’t a major cause of inflation is that the Fed won’t let it happen. Remember that while it is a US Government organization, it is not controlled by either political party. Sure, they are appointed by the President, but their tenure is not subject to a president’s preference.

1 Like

After 53 years of home ownership, I am now living in a apartment. I would never buy an EV if i could charge it where I live. I don’t think any rational person would. Seems to me that charging stations would have to precede the car to create the demand.

3 Likes

Why? It never did before. Gas stations didn’t precede ICE vehicles.

2 Likes

This is a good example of the future, as big-box retailing continues to decline, demand for rental units accelerates, and EV usage increases. This new development will include 12 charging stations:

They must have come somewhat simultaneously, right? Otherwise, your ICE car would be useless. You may have had to drive a little to find the gas, though. The difference here is one already has a fuel source readily available and takes less time to fill. The other has a fuel source that may or may not be readily available depending on your location and takes longer to fill. I wouldn’t want an EV if I couldn’t charge it at home either. Seems like not having the benefit of charging at home overnight would take away the advantages of owning the EV and be too much of a hassle.

All you guys that see zero downside to an EV, why haven’t you bought one yet?

If you say you’re “waiting for more range”, I’m going to say “Why? The original ICE vehicles didn’t come out with a range in excess of 300 miles”.

2 Likes

The very early motorists bought their gasoline from general stores and pharmacies.

1 Like

Most “gas stations” of today have as much other merchandise as the old general stores and pharmacies did back then. :laughing:

I wouldn’t mind having an EV. I’d definitely want the ability to charge it overnight at home, though. The absence of that would be a deal breaker for me.

Found the article below. Basically says EV’s actually save you time refueling vs ICE, but…only if you have the ability to charge at home.

Gas stations don’t take hours to refuel.

2 Likes

I haven’t bought one yet because they are still too expensive.

1 Like

You can buy a Nissan Leaf for under $30,000. So not that expensive.

If you charge at home. Tesla fast charge is 15 minutes. If you charge at home (most people do) then why do you need your vehicle while it’s charging. I park my truck at night and it sits there for hours. So what. If it was an EV it would be good to go for at least 4 days (100 miles).

+1
I’ve started to explore the possibility of buying a plug-in hybrid, and the ones I’ve looked at so far will fully recharge from a regular home outlet in 8 hours. My car is typically garaged for 10-12 hours between drives, so this would definitely work for me.

2 Likes

Which is why I brought up apartment dwellers. Are we going to provide charging stations fo public housing? I don’t think most suburbanites realize what percentage of the population don’t own homes.it is clear that renters make up more than 35% ,\Also, what about 2,3.4.anf5 car families. If you outlaw ICE engines, eventually you will need a charger for each car.

Forget the frailties of our present grid, where are we going to get all our clean electricity from? We cannot begin to get clean energy for our present needs.

In case anyone is interested, there was an article in theuffalo News about Tesla’ solar roofs catching fire.

Apartment dwellers and public housing are two different things. My lawyer cousin who owns an apartment in the Bronx that’s well north or $2,000,000 is not public housing.

Again you’re basing all this conjecture on what is NOW…not what will be. New batteries and charging systems will be able to fully charge a vehicle in minutes.

Israeli company unveils electric vehicle battery that can recharge in 10 minutes | The Times of Israel

Electric car batteries with five-minute charging times produced | Electric, hybrid and low-emission cars | The Guardian

Future batteries, coming soon: Charge in seconds, last months a (pocket-lint.com)

So as I stated earlier the need for apartment charging may be moot.

That is a concern, but clean reusable energy is growing very fast. When we moved to NH back in the early 80’s there were ZERO solar or wind farms between NH and central NY. Well over 50 of them now in the same area. And well over 90% were built in the last decade.

My in-laws had until recently (accident) a plug in Prius Hybrid. My mother-in-law used it in her part time job doing flower deliveries, and it was a fantastic car for that. Sipped gasoline, was fully charged in the morning so she could start her day entirely on the battery (granted not a huge range, but still, every little bit helps!). It was really the ideal car for something like that.