More ev stations

McDonald’s by me is adding ev stations. Good I suppose.

1 Like

EV charging stations at fast food restaurants? Seems an odd combination, given that the purpose of fast food is to make the dining experience brief, on the order of 15-20 minutes. Office parks, shopping malls, even grocery stores, all seem a better fit. Places where you’ll likely be parking for an hour or more. I wonder what the thinking is ?

Some GM vehicles can get ~75 miles of range with a 10 minute charge.

1 Like

Actually quite a few truck stops have Mac or other fast food joints attached. So ten minutes at the pump, a rest room stop and a cheeseburger will get me 400 miles down the road. Nice timing though.

1 Like

Have you BEEN to a McDonalds recently? They are anything but “fast” these days! Plenty of time to charge up an EV.
:smile:

3 Likes

I try to travel no more than ten miles from work during a lunch break. To charge for 20 minutes twice a week during lunch seems realistic to me.

1 Like

Wawa and Royal Farms stores often have Tesla Superchargers. They serve fast food and other food items in addition to selling gas.

1 Like

WaWa has good food. They get pretty crowded at lunchtime around me.

If someone asked me where I was going I don’t think I could answer " WaWa " .

It is a weird name for a fuel and food stop but then so is Buc-Ees.

Makes more sense if it’s near the freeway just off an exit ramp, where you might want a break anyways.

The WaWa in Vienna VA doesn’t have any fuel pumps just a dozen or so charging stations.

1 Like

I rarely go to the WaWa in my area, only if my regular station is out of non-ethanol gas. When I have been there, people loitering around the station asking for money or selling drugs. On the plus side, good coffee.
I do want to try Buc-ee’s but 90+ minutes away.

There is a Panera restaurant about 7 miles from my home, and they installed about 10 Tesla Superchargers a few years ago, in their parking lot. When I drove past, it seemed like there were never more than 2 or 3 chargers being used.

But recently, a Shake Shack and a Chipotle were opened on either side of the Panera, and now the chargers are used by many more cars every time that I pass. There is yet another fast food place being built nearby in the same complex, so I predict that more chargers will be added in the near future.

1 Like

Chargers are on south side of site. Probably the busiest interesection in town.

South is at the bottom of the photo? Anyway, it’s their store and their choice. If there are a lot of unused parking spots, adding the charging stations might be a good idea. It also isn’t clear how many parking spots will become charging spots.

Haha. And they have shoot spotter rig next to ev spot.
The ev charger is 5-6’ from curb so cars can pull in and plug will reach rear of car it seems. So charger will be between cars and not at ends.

I’ve had no fast food experiences since the 2020 Covid lockdown.

You have Wawa down there?

Yes we do have WaWa. A Buc Ees was planned but that fell through