Maxima Electric Mystery

Car: 1996 Nissan Maxima

The car has an automatic antenna (up/down when you turn on/off the radio). I wanted to disconnect the motor to leave it in the up position. I followed the cables to the antenna (left the coax alone, of course), and cut the 3 conductors that were leading to “a box” under the antenna. NOTE: This area in behind a metal panel.

As intended, the antenna is stuck in the up position. The problem is that I also lost the dash clock, the remote to the door locks stopped working, and the radio memory buttons do not work anymore (the radio comes on in AM every time).

AND here is the mystery; I went back to the cables, spliced them together (correctly - they are color coded) but NOTHING CAME BACK TO NORMAL. The radio is still messed up, remote still not working, and the dash clock is still off.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advanced.

Did you check your fuses? In cutting the wires, you may have inadvertently shorted the circuit that powers the memory circuit for the radio, and the other issues you list.

Chase

Thank you Chase. I did think I could have generated a short while cutting; but all fuses checked OK. Believe it or not; I miss having the clock, having the preset radio, and not having the remote opening during the summer Florida thunderstorm season (the 3 seconds it takes to open the door by key get you soaked).

Fuse #40 in the fuse block powers the radio memory, clock and power antenna.

I think Nevada has it right. There is a separate fuse for these functions, other than the one for the radio itself. If your dome light has also failed, it’s this fuse for sure.

Thank you Nevada. I think you got it; but excuse my ignorance; but I am looking at the fuse box under the steering wheel and they are not numbered. Which is #40?

Here is the fuse box with fuse numbers.

The diagram didn’t post clear, #40 is in the top right corner of the diagram, 7.5 amp.

That was it! Thank you. Everything came back to normal (including the darn antenna going up and down).

Thanks!!