Electrical Problem

My radio and display above air conditioning controls in my '99 Mazda Millenia are completely messed up. My radio will not turn on at all and the clock and temperature setting on the display reset everytime. Please tell me there’s an easy fix. If not, what should I do?

The easy fix, as always, is to smack it a few times.

If that’s too troublesome you will need to replace the radio.

It could be as easy as a blown fuse. Check your owner’s manual for the location of the fuse box, or boxes. Then check for the fuse to the clock, radio, and etc. Check this fuse.

I suspect the fuse for the radio is blown. The radio uses two power leads, one is power all the time and the other is power from the ignition. The power all the time is also shared with the clock, and is the main power source for the radio. This power lead also maintains the memory in the radio and the clock. The other lead is used to signal the radio when the ignition is turned on. The clock also shares this lead to power the clock display.

With that fuse blown, the memory for the clock will fade every time you shut off the car, and the radio will not work. If the replacement fuse blows, you’ll need to take the car to a shop that specializes the car electrical, or get a wiring diagram, and chase down the short.

I actually checked the fuse for the radio in the interior fuse box and the fuse wasn’t blown. There is another fuse box under the hood, but I didn’t think that would affect the radio completely not working. Should I check that fuse and the fuses for the clock display?

I actually checked the fuse for the radio in the interior fuse box and the fuse wasn’t blown. There is another fuse box under the hood, but I didn’t think that would affect the radio completely not working. Should I check that fuse and the fuses for the clock display?

I agree with Bustedknuckles. The radio will be working off of 2 separate circuits.

JMHO, but on electrical problems like this I think EVERY fuse should be checked right off the bat.

I checked both the radio fuse inside the car and the audio fuse under the hood. Neither of the fuses were blown. So I should check all fuses inside the car and under the hood? If it’s not a fuse what else could it be?