Lambrecht Chevrolet Auction

I am watching the auction on proxibid.com.

I love that kind of stuff as much as anyone on the planet, but a 140 grand for that Cameo with the caved in roof? Ow.

Looks like one bidder, o****e, is buying most of the cars…Just a rough estimate, he has spent well over $3 million dollars so far and has purchased 3/4 of the items sold today…This will be boring to watch on TV…

It started at 7:00 central time so its a recording of the events. Still interesting. I guess that guys got a little higher line of credit than I do. Wonder how he’ll transport all of them.

I wonder if they will identify the buyer and if they do, will it be a person we will all recognize…

I wonder if they will identify the buyer and if they do, will it be a person we will all recognize…
@Caddyman–Well, it isn’t Triedaq. I won’t let him have any more junk. That’s one down.

Mrs. Triedaq

Bidder o****e who purchased 3/4 of the cars sold today has been identified as Steve Ames of Marlborough, N.H.

Just the amount of money involved in transportation, storage, and titling costs alone makes my heart skip a few beats…

I wonder what the guy who bought 3/4 of the cars will do with them? Will they sit, be restored? Its will be interesting.

One of the guys interviewed, don’t know which one it was, said no, they will be trailered on and off and that’s it. “These cars don’t get driven”. Seems a shame. The cars were built to hit the road in and after all these years, you think they should be driven. One guy that bought the 64 wagon though for 30K said he was going to use it in his business and drive it.

The guys doing the show commented that he wanted the Corvair and the guy that bought it was from New York. He wasn’t sure if a Corvair would be good in that cold and snowy climate. I had to laugh. We had more fun in our Corvair in Minnesota in the winter time. With rear engine rear drive and snow tires, that car would go anywhere. On snow days when I couldn’t get to work and school was closed, we’d take the thing out and drive all over on unplowed roads and through drifts. Got it stuck once on a drift but it just rocked itself out. A real demon in the snow. Course I only paid $150 for it so I though offering $2500 for the Lambreck one was quite fair.

Might be a museum display set up as Lambrecht Chevrolet.

Steven Ames, who purchased many of the cars, owns a automotive business (body shop), also a restoration and performance side-line business in New Hampshire…If you add up how much o****e spent, it comes to 2.5-3.0 million…

Live auction link

http://lambrechtautoauction.com/?gclid=CJu6jPiH8bkCFaNaMgodoHAADg

The bidder ID that is shown as o***e is “on-site”, this is not one individual. Each buyer interviewed on the TV show are shown as o***e on the auction web site. The in person bids do not have a web site bid ID and are listed as on-site.

@Nevada_545 - thanks, that makes a LOT more sense.

As many to the cars not being driven after they were bought, I think that was about the fact that none COULD be driven off, they all needed major work on the fuel system, brakes, etc., before they could move.

Of course, the big $$ ones with under 10 miles won’t be driven, otherwise the crazy $$ paid for them would go down the drain.

yeah Nevada, that explains much, thanks for posting that info…Steven Ames DID buy the '58 Cameo P/U for $140,000…When the hammer fell, he exclaimed “What have I done!!”

It’s sad in a way that over $3 million dollars gets spent at an automotive auction and NONE of the cars can be driven home…If you can’t drive them, what good are they?? Isn’t that what cars are for? Why is a dust and dirt covered, rusting, moldy “Survivor Car” worth more than a restored, operational driver that you can take out on the road and enjoy? Does anybody here buy into that?

“Why is a dust and dirt covered, rusting, moldy “Survivor Car” worth more than a restored, operational driver that you can take out on the road and enjoy? Does anybody here buy into that?”

I agree. I can see something that has historical significance, like Al Capone’s Cadillac or JFK’s Lincoln have blue-sky value because of who owned it, but so many of the cars I see at auction are treated like art. They’re cars. Every classic car I’ve owned (none show quality, but still…) was done with the intent of enjoying driving it. Maybe not a daily driver, but driving it is how you have fun.

A lot of people let their emotions and pocketbooks run a bit wild on this auction. One lady is from Australia and claims to have wanted an old American classic for 4 or 5 years. So she flies up and coughs up about 40 grand for a '57 Chevy 210 4 DR Sedan that will need a full restoration to make it a driver. This is a generic old family car; not a 2 DR HT or FI model.

When asked why she would give 40 or so when a clean, running driver could be had for less than 20 it became a “just wanted it” matter.
When asked how she was going to get it back to Australia she said she had no idea; the same answer when asked about restoring it to driver status.
She will have a 150 grand involved and a 15-20k car to show for it; assuming she follows through on everything.

Yeah I’m not sure anymore what the big deal would be if you can’t even drive them. The prices seemed about two or three times what they should be. Last year there was a Corvair somewhere around Indiana for about $3500. One owner, had about 40K on it. Seemed on the low side of normal price but why a similar one at the acution would go for $13000, beats me.

I wished the guys that had sentimental attachments to some of the cars could have gotten them for a reasonable price instead.

@Bing, I totally agree with you about the sentiment. Several people interviewed had lived there all their lives and showed up to hopefully purchase their old car back and every one was disappointed when the bidding skyrocketed.

It was kind of sad but understandable. If I had a 1000 dollar car that someone would cough up 10 grand for then away she goes.

Bidder o****e who purchased 3/4 of the cars sold today has been identified as Steve Ames of Marlborough, N.H.

WOW…he must own half of that community to have that much money to throw around. Small town near Keene NH. There use to be this dealer of old Range Rovers. He had DOZENS dating back to the 40’s. I wonder if it’s him.