Is the technology bogus?

Is this true? http://water4gas.com/2books.htm If you search the internet, it looks like some people have done this with varying levels of success. I’d like to find out if Click and Clack have done this.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Click and Clack have too much common sense to try this snake oil!

BAD SPAMMER!!

is there an adminitrator to delete this spammers threads or ban the accounts?

Find a reputable, disinterested 3rd party evaluation evaluation on the inteernet and report back to us. A reputable, disinterested 3rd party is someone witout an interest in the water-for-gas thing. Someone like the EPA, DoE, or a local government. A university might be OK, but the researcher cannot be paid by the water-for-gas folks. Good luck; let us know (if) when you have something. Until then, I’ll remain just the tiniest bit skeptical.

No, this technology is NOT bogus. The gas (HHO) talked about in ‘water4gas’ is nothing new. It was originally known as Brown’s Gas or Oxyhydrogen and you can read about it on Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown’s_gas#Brown.27s_gas . This technology works. A friend has achieved a 50% increase in his mileage using it, and I’ve achieved a modest 12% increase in my mileage (from 29 mpg to 32 mpg) but I’m still tweaking it. You make the gas by ionizing a mixture of distilled water and baking soda. This saturates the water with HHO or Brown’s Gas, which is then injected into your engine via one of your vacuum lines through a bubbler. The whole outfit costs under $20 to build and even with my modest increase in mileage I’ve made back the investment already. My only question, which I’ve posed to Click & Clack, is whether burning the gasoline/HHO mixture may damage the pistons and valves since it burns much hotter than gasoline alone. But my engine overall runs cooler as predicted. I plan on tweaking till I reach 40 mpg. Then I’ll be happy.

“ionizing a mixture of distilled water and baking soda. This saturates the water with HHO”

I’m no chemist but this sure sounds like something a water softener saleman would say. Makes water wetter, HHO, my gosh, aren’t the carnivals working this season to get these guys off the street?

BS - and this is directed to gruffdog.

No, this technology is NOT bogus.

Total BS.  People have been trying to bet the conservation of energy law of physics for a long time and not one has succeeded.  You can't pull yourself up by your boot straps and you never will.

oh, glad someone posted this already. and glad to read the responses.

So, first of all, I resent being called a blogger. I’m an average citizen in Seattle, WA investigating all avenues of cutting my gas costs. I know next to nothing about cars and found the website through a Google search. Yes, my initial reaction is that this is bogus, but after looking at a couple websites, it seemed like more than a few people have tried this. I’m not a chemist either. However, I DO have an open mind and am willing to investigate a little further if things point towards a positive solution. And if nothing else, I would be entertained by some of the ideas out there that people come up with. So please don’t call me a spammer. I’m just curious . . . about everything. Thanks to all who answered without accusations.

then try it, and let us know. BUT, dubious is the key word.

My main concern with these add-on miracle devices is not that they won’t work (they won’t), or that they rip people off (they do), but rather than they’ll cause operating problems or, worse yet, serious damage or a dangerous condition. Popular Mechanics tested a group of these miarcle devices and one of them melted onto the exhaust. They replaced it with another to repeat the test and it started a fire in the engine compartment. None of the devices improved mileage.

Eventually someone is going to get injured. And the tragedy will be that it will be so needless.

Nonsense. This just uses power from the engine (by way of the alternator) to split water into hydrogen and oxygen. “Brown’s gas” and “HHO” are jargon used by these snake oil salesmen to obscure the process. The hydrogen is then fed back into the intake and burned. Does it generate hydrogen? It could. Does it save gas? No, it can’t, because it’s using gas to generate the electricity that generates the hydrogen. Burning the hydrogen yields 20% mechanical energy and 80% waste heat energy (out the radiator or the exaust pipe). So it’s at best a losing game, to the tune of 80%! Not good.

“You make the gas by ionizing a mixture of distilled water and baking soda.”

The sodium bicarbonate is already ionized when it dissolves in the water. And water is already saturated with itself, dontcha think?

Didn’t any of you ranting doubting thomases bother to read Wikipedia’s entry on Brown’s Gas or Oxyhydrogen? If it’s such a fraud, then tell me how the HHO cutting and braising torch works so well? HHO technology works if you give it a chance.