Intermittent Blinker Outage

I have a 2003 Ford Ranger 4x2 that is having blinker difficulty. A rapid clicking flasher indicates that I have a bad bulb (on the drivers side), but if I turn the car off and restart it - no problems. Will continue fine for awhile and then it go out again. I have changed the rear bulb, which was noted at last oil change and now the front bulb appears to have gone as well (occasionally). No apparent pattern. Also let me add this vehicle has tilt steering and if I use that (steering wheel tilted in the down position) then none of the blinkers will work.

From what you’re descibing, it sounds like the wiring harness that runs down the steering column has broken wires, causing an intermittent connection from the multifunction switch to the turn signals.

Tester

Thanks. Is this something that’s easy to diagnose, or should I take it into the local repair?

Pardon My Interrupting, But I Think You Already Diagnosed It.

" . . . if I use that (steering wheel tilted in the down position) then none of the blinkers will work. "

That’s the wiring problem that Tester is Talking about.

CSA

That would make sense also owing to fact that had speed control recall on the Ford Ranger which involved the wiring harness. Just completed recall work last month - problems ever since. So tomorrow calling the dealer for clarification. Thanks for the assistance WKUP.