Infinity CD player jammed. Stays on even when cars off

2004 Kia amanti
The infinity 6 CD player lights stay on even when the keys are out of ignition! The lights constantly blinks orange and green until my car battery dies off.

When I try to actually use the CD player, it just says (er -2) error 2? And then goes back to fm radio.
The only time I actually HEAR the CD player making an attempt to switch discs and operate is when I unplug the positive cable and plug back on. The CD player makes 3 attempts to operate and then gives me the error again. From there, I must unplug then plug again in order to hear the motor spinning in the player.

I’m pretty sure it’s because a CD is jammed inside (based on what other ls say with the same car) and yes I already tried ejecting it and putting a blank CD in (it won’t go in). I don’t know what to do and most certainly dont want to remove the stereo. Also I don’t think there’s any fuses for the radio. Any ideas?

Yes, as distasteful as the reality may be to you, you need to pull the radio out and replace it. If this is the factory radio, it is certain that it’s on a fused circuit.

The CD mechanism has probably failed. Not an uncommon event at 15 years old. There’s various failure modes in CD players. One common failure is the mechanical linkage that moves the read head from the inner edge of the CD to the outer edge as the music plays is worn out and has jammed. There’s no solution to that problem other than to buy another player. Could be a problem with the mechanism that swaps from one disk to the next too, or the door opening mechanism. There’s no economically viable way to fix those either in most cases. Is the CD player itself located in the truck trunk? If so just unplug and don’t use it for now. You can still use the radio with the CD player unplugged, right? Your ultimate solution is to install a new system, which may be just the CD player, or an entirely new stereo. The latter might be better, as you can upgrade to a USB-memory stick mp3 player. Then there’s no CD player at all, you transfer your CD’s to a USB memory stick and plug that into the radio. Voila! All your CD music at the push of a button, and no moving parts.

@George_San_Jose1 I don’t know what you mean by if my CD player is in the truck. It’s located on the dash built into the stereo. And I don’t see anyway to unplug it. I wish I could just disable the CD player because I do not use it anyways (the owner before me must’ve had a CD in it). The radio works fine but these lights are killing my battery

Ok, I understand. I meant “trunk” , sorry for typo. I expect you are going to have to have your auto repair shop (or auto stereo shop) remove the stereo completely then. At that point they may be able to disable the CD player. Look in your owners manual, there should be a fuse diagram which shows which fuse is for the stereo/CD player. If you can find it, remove it. Providing removing that fuse doesn’t disable something else you need, that should solve the battery draining problem. There’s one other idea, look very carefully at the buttons that control the stereo and CD player. Are any of them stuck in the on position? Sometimes over time dirt will get in between the button and the face-plate and cause the button to stick.

Unlikely, but I notice you have a bunch of coins laying under the gearshift area. If there’s a way a coin could drop into the area below that panel, it might be shorting something out.

Is there not a power button that turns off the radio and the CD player at the same time . Or does the radio still play with the key removed. If you don’t want to replace the radio see if you can find the power cord to it and put a inline on/off switch on it. Frankly a good stereo shop can replace this whole thing at a reasonable price.

@VOLVO_V70 no there’s no power button and most certainly no cords laying around. The radio works normal. Does not turn on unless key is in… It’s only the CD player

@George_San_Jose1 I think that’s how it got stuck in the first place because when this happened, I noticed the “load” button seemed sticky and constantly pushed in. I don’t see any fuses that have anything to do with the radio. But I do know the amplifier is in the trunk if that means anything. Also those coins can’t reach anything haha

Usually when I turn off the radio it turns off the CD player too. I don’t know why it just decides to constantly have lights flashing for it

It’s sometimes possible to physically remove the power plug from the back of the stereo, without having to remove the stereo first. This requires somebody with car/stereo experience though; otherwise you risk introducing more problems than you solve. Plus it would almost certainly leave you w/no music at all, which isn’t really a solution. We need our daily dose of Kelly Clarkson and Lady GaGa after all. But it would probably solve the battery drain problem.

@George_San_Jose1lol at this point I just hope it fixes itself or I will shove a stick in there and hope for the best. I do hear the motor spinning after all

The motor which spins the disk 'round in circles is pretty much bullet-proof compared to the other stuff inside a CD player. A CD has very little weight, so practically no load on the motor.

@George_San_Jose1 how should I go about pulling #12?

Be honest with your self. You do know why the lights constantly flash. It is broken and needs to be repaired or replaced. In the case of most radios/CD players, it is more cost effective to just replace.

Good luck with that.

Great idea.

1 Like

For the lower amp automobile fuses, usually you can pull them out by grabbing them by the upper part with your finger tips and pulling. If that doesn’t work I’ll use needle nose pliers. There’s a fuse puller tool that makes it easier. Most auto parts stores will stock it or something similar.

@George_San_Jose1 i got it out. It disabled the clock and all audio. Im pretty sure this stops it from draining but still a tragedy I can’t listen to my Katy Perry

You probably hear the disc ejector motor running if this button is stuck. If it were mine, I would try spraying some electrical contact cleaner around the button to see if it can be freed up. Although most of these sprays are fairly benign, shielding adjacent surfaces with a paper towel would help prevent any issues if it gets on them.

@TwinTurbo it got unstuck after I noticed it and pushed it a few times. But I’m wondering if it being stuck like that causes this

Glad you got the battery drain problem solved OP. Replacing the stereo with a new one is the way to go. That will get your KP tunes modulating your car’s airspace. The way of the future for car audio is a USB memory stick holds your tunes in mp3 file format, and you plug it into the player, and it plays them. Suggest to go w/the flow, and use that route when selecting your new car stereo. True, there’s a bit of a chore transferring your CD’s to the memory stick, but you only got to do that once. And you don’t have to do it all at once, start w/your favorite tunes first. Another upside, you’ll have a CD backup source for all your tunes.

Honestly I never used the CD player once of having it. There must be a CD in there from the previous owner. I use the aux cassette tape for music, which idk how mp3 is better then aux haha but thanks for feedback. I probably won’t even replace stereo it’s not worth the money I spent on the thing

The advantage of mp3 is reliability, no moving parts.