CD Player Stuck on Eject Mode & my Truck isn't Even On!

For 4 days now the CD player in my 2000 Chevy S-10 has been stuck in eject mode, even when the truck is off (even when I take out the key and open the door). Every 5 seconds (and this is not an exaggeration)it tries to eject a CD. It won’t accept a CD, but the stereo still works; however, the digital screen shows an “err” message. I can live without a CD player (if it’s broken), and I can even tolerate the ejection sound every 5 seconds, but I am concerned that my battery might die and/or some more serious problem might arise if I don’t act soon. What is wrong – can it be fixed – and what do I do about it? Thanks in advance for any help!

Repair or replace the CD player…In the meantime, remove the fuse

I do say this a lot but check and see if two CD’s are stuck in the slot. You will need to remove the radio and then just disassemble the radio enough to get to the CD mechanism.

This will eventually kill your battery if it’s not fixed. The simplest thing to do would be to replace the radio/CD player with an aftermarket unit. Crutchfield.com has lots of choices in a wide range of prices. This will probably cost less than repairing the original CD player.

Another option would be to try to find a replacement radio in a junk yard. In the mean time, I suggest you pull the fuse to the radio in order to save the battery.

Thank you. Just this morning the dial on my battery meter started quivering. I had better remove the fuse tonight, after my two hour commute from D.C. to Va by train and bus. . . . aaargh!

Thank you. Just this morning the dial on my battery meter started quivering. I had better remove the fuse tonight, after my two hour commute from D.C. to Va by train and bus. . . . aaargh!

Ebay has used radio’s that will directly fit the opening and plug in.

Aftermarket works too but involves some wiring and look hideous typically especially for the cheaper units beyond the lilliputian buttons meant for elves hands.

Is removing the radio above your skill level? need any tips?. I happen to like both the appearance and function of the OEM unit you are having some trouble with (really you should check for two CD’s in the slot).