I'm Shocked

@ok4450

That’s an interesting story

While I was born in Germany, I’m mixed race, 50-50 actually

But I look kind of ambiguous, I suppose

A lot of the guys that know I was born in Germany have the mindset I’m white.

I’ll say one thing, though. Nobody, and I mean nobody, in Germany ever thought I was white, and that didn’t bother me at all.

When people here in the US find out my “makeup” they often do a double take. They say “You don’t look like it at all.” What are you supposed to say to that?

A middle eastern contractor once did a double take when he saw me talking German to my mom.
He said “Were you just speaking German? You don’t look like it at all.”

On those boxes where you have to choose caucasian, asian, etc., I usually check the box marked “other”

While I don’t consider myself white at all, I can’t make up my mind what to consider myself

A common situation nowadays, apparently

The whole point of my story is this . . . you might be surprised who you’re talking to, even if you’re looking right at him

I consider myself white just because the genetics are loaded that way more than any other. My paternal great-grandmother was full blood Indian.

What grates on me is to be considered a racist because of being considered all white and because of generally conservative political leanings. Someone’s color is irrelevant to me; it’s about the type of person they are. Some of my best friends are Hispanic, Native American, and while I’ve lost touch with him; an Iranian whom I used to work with.

The Iranian was a funny guy and he had a bias of sorts towards other Iranians. He would line up weekend work from other Middle Easteners who thought he was their buddy because of a common heritage. The 100 MPH Arabic language I could not follow but I could understand his heavily accented motto after they left; “I’m gonna xxxx every one of those sxxx xx bxxxxxx to death…”.
Only his fellow countrymen got this treatment and they always came back for more… :slight_smile:

Someday we’ll all figure out that we came from the same place and are all just different genetic mutations of our African ancestors. Us white folk are northern European genetic mutants from African roots. It puts things in a different perspective to realize whites are basically genetic mutants of African origin.

A few years ago there was a worldwide genetic study done to see who was related to who, and thus who came from where, and the results were fascinating. It showed quite conclusively that pretty much everyone on earth can be traced back to a few ancestors in Africa, and showed the progressive spread of humanity from Africa into Europe and Eurasia, and across the Alaskan land bridge into North America…the people who became Native Americans, closely related genetically to modern day Siberians.

One interesting tidbit they found: many people in central Asian have genes that can be traced back to Attila the Hun. So he was a busy guy making love when he wasn’t busy making war.

The Iranian is Caucasian, or white if you prefer. So are Pakistanis and Indians (Asian). Perhaps more so than Europeans since the Caucasus is in Southwestern Russia; east of Turkey and north of Iran.

I must have screwed my post up. At any rate looks like we’re all brothers or at least cousins anyway. Just like we’ve been saying.

I thought it was interesting that 60,000 years ago we were down to 10,000 for a world population due to CLIMATE CHANGE and a general cooling.

“At any rate looks like we’re all brothers or at least cousins anyway. Just like we’ve been saying.”

I’m on board with that.

It has been said that every Human on Earth is 5th cousins-Kevin

@Jasmed: “Someday we’ll all figure out that we came from the same place and are all just different genetic mutations of our African ancestors.”

I think we’ve already reached that day. The odds are pretty good that all current living humans are descended from one pre-human species that lived 14,000 generations ago (about 138,000 years ago). Scientists refer to the male of this species as “Y-chromosomal Adam,” and the female of this species as “Mitochondrial Eve.” All of the genetic ancestors of this pre-human species are believed to be genetically common to the entire human race.

This article might help put this in perspective: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=18&cad=rja&ved=0CGMQFjAHOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwaitbutwhy.com%2F2013%2F12%2Fyour-ancestor-is-jellyfish.html&ei=oXL7UvKfJrGA0AHUioCgCw&usg=AFQjCNFp0o2orCs1bFWOUyOWI8_rXpPXnw&sig2=fe0vBDrggXXUkUkOw0kQEQ&bvm=bv.61190604,d.dmQ

and this site explains the concept of “Y-chromosomal Adam and Mitochondrial Eve”: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/y-chromosome-analysis-moves-adam-closer-eve

I think we've already reached that day.

Enlightened people who can actually think - believe this. But there’s a whole sector of people here in the US who still believe that the earth is not older then 10,000 years old…Dinosaurs never existed…and that we all descended from Adam and Eve. According to a Gallop pole more then 30% of US citizens still believe this. There’s even one such idiot in congress - Paul Brown from Georgia…who also serves on “The House Committee on Science”.

Congress and the White House is packed full of idiots and weasels on both sides of the aisle and has been for an eternity… :slight_smile:

For the record, I know several non-white guys who are very conservative

White guys don’t have any monopoly on conservatism

@ok4450 wondering if you can post “derogatory names that are used against white people” I am thinking honky etc, but am basically an oreo cookie, white guy between blacks, I get along very well with my neighbors, so no offense intended to anyone, It could be something different if I was living between blondes, might be vanilla cookie or something, gosh now I am politically incorrect I bet.

@ db4690 sorry I accidentally marked one of your earlier reply as off topic… These darn "smart"phones with the tiny keyboards…

@Barkydog, I prefer not to post the racial epithets used towards me (alone the first incident) and both me and a friend in the second incident. I’ll just say that the one you mentioned is one of many that were used and all mingled in with a lot of profanity.

The fistcuffs incident took off when one of the 2 thugs said he was going to beat my xxx and “make me a lot whiter” by shoving my head into a bag of dry ice he was carrying. I backed up a few steps and picked up a piece of broken concrete from the curb.
I advised him to just shut up and go away but he chose to try and sucker punch me. He missed and the concrete I had did not; it cracked his head open. THAT’S when the fight got started and he ended up on the short end of it.

It’s sad that it came to that but my options were very limited. It was either run, beg on bended knee, or stand my ground. The first two were not going to happen.

@252525

Don’t sweat it

In retribution then you better give him some likes. You get badges for likes.

Thugs are thugs…They come in all races…shapes and sizes. I was assaulted twice in my life (both while at Syracuse University). Both times they were white.

As a general policy, I think it’s a good idea not to post the racial epithets at all.

I think we've already reached that day. The odds are pretty good that all current living humans are descended from one pre-human species that lived 14,000 generations ago (about 138,000 years ago). Scientists refer to the male of this species as "Y-chromosomal Adam," and the female of this species as "Mitochondrial Eve." All of the genetic ancestors of this pre-human species are believed to be genetically common to the entire human race.

reminded me of the ending to the 2005 battlestar galactica series