She would not know all of that. No one would

1 Like

?? :roll_eyes: Apparently someone did or it wouldnā€™t have been in the script. I think youā€™re just being sexist.

Itā€™s one of my favorite movie scenes of all time. And no - Iā€™d imagine that the actor Marissa Tomei wouldnā€™t have known. But Iā€™m sure that her character - Ms. Mona Lisa Vito did know.

3 Likes

Notice: ā€œNo one wouldā€.

My favorite scene was Vito stating "The defense is wrong!"
and her explaining the burning rubber tire marks.

The writers found someone that new itā€¦

Jessi Combs (RIP) probably knew it, she was the fastest woman on 4 wheels, passed away doing about 520 MPH when a front wheel failedā€¦ She was a true fabricator and master techā€¦ Many women in the hot rod and racing world that might know that stuffā€¦ Alex Taylor (Alex Taylor Racing) is another young drag racer and has had her street driven, trailer towing 1955 Chevy in the high 6ā€™s at over 210 MPH in the 1/4 mile during drag and drive & sick week eventsā€¦ She also builds transmissions, engines, whatever and even complete race cars with her dadā€¦

And any Chevy fan will know what year the legendary 327 came out, and it was not available in the Chevy in question, cause it wasnā€™t invented yet for productionā€¦ they will also know the HP, bore and stroke, what cylinders heads were offered on it and when etc etc etc ā€¦

Sorry, but just because you donā€™t know crap about these things doesnā€™t mean real car guys donā€™tā€¦ I have known lots of people that can name every small/big block chevy ever made and their bore and strokes and most of the timing specs for themā€¦

Hell, 30 years ago, I new every LA 273, 318, 340, 360, B 383, 400, RB 426 and 440 specs, I am still pretty good on the LA 318 and up enginesā€¦

I bet a few on this forum would easily be able to answer that same questionā€¦

4 Likes

I much preffered the 318 polyhead to the LA. and I particularly liked the 330 Desoto Hemi also or the 1957, 354 , two 4 barrel carb D-500-1 Dodge I got for $50 because it was rusty and the used car dealer I bought it from had no idea what it was. It was actually the same engine as the 56 Chrysler 300

Yeah, Iā€™ve known a few people who had this kind of deep knowledge, especially if they were diehard Chevy fans for example- pick any make.

I found some parts of the movie really insightful. The part where he rips her for the distant photo image and later it becomes critical to him recognizing their car could never make those tire marks.

Vinny Gambini: Are we to believe that boiling water soaks into a grit faster in your kitchen than on any place on the face of the earth? Mr. Tipton: I donā€™t know. Vinny Gambini: Well, perhaps the laws of physics cease to exist on your stove

:grinning:

3 Likes

If someone made their living doing tune ups in the ā€˜60s, they could know that stuff.

1 Like

And as to ā€œno one wouldā€, im very well versed in GM"s senior compacts of 1961-1963 and i damn sure wouldā€™ve known that.

1 Like

Could be answered differentlyā€¦ Chevy only installed a 265 ci V8 in 1955. That engine did not have a mounting boss for an oil filter either.

She didnā€™t have to focus on the 327!

As for thisā€¦

There is so much incorrect (BS) information in movies these days it drives me nuts to watch some of themā€¦

Ford vs Ferrariā€¦ a scene when Ken Miles is side by side with the Ferrari on the Mulsanne Straight in the '66 Le Mans 24 race and DOWNshifts to 3rd at high speed to pull awayā€¦ My brain immediately thought BOOM since the engine would over-rev and push a rod out the block.

For those that might not realize whyā€¦ If the car is turning close to redline at high speed, 3rd gear would over-rev the engine causing it to fail. If the car isnā€™t going fast enough to over-rev, then Ken Miles would be in 3rd gear already, not 4th.

3 Likes

Heck, I knew they didnā€™t have a 327 in '55, and I used to remember things like firing order, point gap, dwell, and such for some common cars when I worked at a service station and did tune ups in the '70s. Just donā€™t ask me now!

1 Like

Shifting (one way or the other) is the ā€˜go-toā€™ action during car chases. Like the driver was just coasting along before thatā€¦

2 Likes

Thats the firing order for the 215 cubic inch aluminum olds-buick v8 in the f85, cutlass, and jetfire and the Buick special and Skylark in 1962. I didnt need to look it up, just comes from memory.

2 Likes

My favorite thing to hate is still squealing tire sound effects on dirt/gravelā€¦

7 Likes

Oh YES!

There are also lots of action movies (Missā€¦ Impossā€¦ cough, cough) that display a complete lack of knowledge about physicsā€¦ Looks cool but is impossible without CGI!

+1
Letā€™s not forget about locked-up brakes and screaming tiresā€¦ on cars that were obviously equipped with ABS.

1 Like

Although it out HPā€™ed the LA, it was also 75 pounds heavier than the LA is, and only 70 pounds lighter than the 440 (roughly), the head design was great, sharded valve location of the Hemi with a but was costly to makeā€¦ They both share the same bore and stroke of 3.91" X 3.31"ā€¦ You can through a 4" stroker crank and bore it 0.090 over for 402ci of funā€¦ You can use a LA timing cover, oil pump and distributer on the Aā€¦

But you can also stroke a LA and make a ton of power with better headsā€¦ lighter weight = faster ETā€™sā€¦

Iā€™ll still stick with my LAā€™s thoughā€¦

Yupā€¦

True of many modern (late 60ā€™s and up, OE cammed) Mopar and GM engines with distributors, Ford had to be differentā€¦ lol
LAā€™s CW and B/RBā€™s CCWā€¦

That starts with putting the #1, or lead piston, on the passengerā€™s side instead of the driverā€™s side like GM and Chysler. :crazy_face:

Makes more space for power steering pumps maybe?

1 Like

Also, donā€™t (some) Ford V8s number the cylinders on one bank, then the other? George, another industry standardization for you!

2 Likes

Yeah, Ford just had to be different, love em or hate emā€¦ lol
How about 2 different firing orders on the 302 vs 302 HO engines?? :man_facepalming:

302 vs 351W, different deck heights, 351C vs 351W, ci only mainlyā€¦ itā€™s like they had 10 different engine designers that never new or talked to each other, all designing engines around the same timeā€¦

2 Likes