I saw a Nash Metropolitan on the road recently

That’s more like it; the chrome ornament running along the side, separating the colors, made it look sleeker. I’ve never seen the convertible, I don’t think.

Really? I think of how flimsy it is and how much of a death trap. I think the nickname is ugly duckling (petit canard) in French.

The anti-handshakers have been around for a while. When David Baltimore became president of my alma mater something in the public health realm was happening; he recommended bowing instead. I think most people don’t get to touch others as much as they’d like, go for it when they can.

I’m worried we’ll get used to having everything brought to us by an army of poorly-paid gig workers. There’s a dystopian novel about the day they revolt.

Flus and colds have been way down everywhere that took anti-covid measures.

We were there before the pandemic. Doordash, Uber-eats, various grocery delivery services and many others were already in full swing years before COVID hit. And shopping had already moved in a very large way online, with Amazon generating more to-the-door shipping than the world had ever seen. Those systems being in place made the pandemic easier to cope with, but they’d be here with or without the coronavirus.

The other side of your point is spot on, though. We need to figure out a way to have jobs like that without requiring that everyone doing them exist at sub-minimum wage with no job security.

4 Likes

Yeah, I always thought the Deux Chevaux was about the ugliest car on the planet. It’s a decent off road vehicle, though.

That’s a difficult proposition. How much more are we willing to pay for delivery? As it is now, the payment comes out of the meal cost. I’ve noticed on the grocery deliveries that we can’t get sale prices or other store incentives. Also, I have coupons at restaurants I get carry out from, but I don’t use them. I’d like to see the restaurants I patronize around when things get better. I pay full ride plus a 20% tip. I’m very concerned about the Mexican, Indian, and Italian restaurants we get Friday dinner from. We get takeout, not delivery, to put more money in their pockets.

Anyone seen a Henry J recently?

My favorite rare car sighting was a blue 1958 Packard Hawk that had been on the cover of, I think, a golfing magazine. It was driving south on I95, I assumed it was returning from the Daytona Thanksgiving Turkey Run.

Growing up in Dinkytown, USA (Minneapolis) in the 60s saw all sorts of imports, including a Simca with Chrysler on the trunk lid. Lots of Citroens and Renaults. Plenty of Metropolitans.

People signed up for Amazon Prime before they even offered extras like streaming TV shows and movies. They were paying 100 bucks a year just for the opportunity to buy stuff faster.

I take your point but I’ve never really agreed with the “people won’t pay for it” argument, especially when the extra we’d have to pay isn’t all that much. There was a similar debate a couple of years ago when my state wanted to increase the minimum wage, including for restaurant workers. No one will want to pay more for a hamburger, the detractors said. And I never saw any evidence to support that argument. It’s not like I personally have to make up the difference between tipped-worker-wages and normal minimum wage. Every customer at that restaurant contributes to the increase, which means that hamburger might, assuming it’s a fairly low-volume restaurant, cost a dollar more. Most people who have the luxury of regularly visiting restaurants aren’t really going to notice when their $60 meal becomes a $61 meal. Especially since now that they’re making a living wage, tipping can shift to a more European model, where it’s not expected and it’s a much lower percentage when it’s given at all.

To your actual question, we’re Americans. We’re always willing to pay for convenience. People are spending hundreds, sometimes thousands, of dollars to install smart switches and a voice-operated computer so that they can tell Google to turn the lights off instead of walking all the way across the room to flip the switch. Yeah, they’ll absolutely pay for delivery.

2 Likes

My daughter has Prime. She bought it for free, well, prepaid, delivery as well as expedited delivery. Works for me. If I want something on Amazon, I ask her to buy it and ship it directly to me, then repay her.

I’m quite an old girl, but i remember my 5th grade teacher in Milwaukee drove a ligth green Metropolitan. Recently I bought a model die cast car that looks like a Metro, but is labeled a Thunderbird, 1955. Could that be an odd Thunderbird? (My car loving phase ended by late grammar school. Now i drive a 2013 Honda Fit that was actually one made in Japan.)

1 Like

I wouldn’t be surprised if the model was mislabeled. Can you upload a photo?

You’ll find this weird, but I don’t have a smart phone. Maybe it’s time (still using Samsung T139 flipper;would never get a good detail pic of this).
Will see if I can get someone to assist.

| Purebred
January 30 |

• | - |

I wouldn’t be surprised if the model was mislabeled. Can you upload a photo?

No Thunderbird ever looked like a Nash Metropolitan . Is this a yard sale purchase ? That might have been put in the wrong box .

1 Like

No, it was in the Walgreen’s “bin” of car models–possibly not much better than yard sale, but looks like original paint and label.

| VOLVO-V70
January 30 |

• | - |

No Thunderbird ever looked like a Nash Metropolitan . Is this a yard sale purchase ? That might have been put in the wrong box .

Google 1955 Thunderbird, you’ll see what it looks like, nothing like a Metropolitan.

2 Likes

If it’s a convertible Thunderbird and you squish it front-to-back, it kinda looks like a Metropolitan. And the toy cars they sell at drug stores are generally horrible quality. Matchbox puts effort into replicating the real world car - not so much the brands at Walgreens. I could see them making a badly out of proportion T-bird that looks more like a Metropolitan.

What is worse, I found my Amazon Prime membership will not get a Nash Metropolitan deliver to my house in 48 hours.

2 Likes

I’m very sorry that I was indisposed over the weekend and wasn’t able to check how things were going. Since I’ve been able to read it all, I’m going to delete it. Don’t do this again, please.

2 Likes

Thank you!
Aside from the fact that it was totally off-topic, the amount of BIZARRELY wrong, dangerous information was actually a hazard to public health while it was still visible.

4 Likes

Thanks. There’s still one hanging around.

1 Like

… and he’s going to be really upset by this…

:wink: