How to turn off airbag light-2000 Altima

Hello. Is there a way for a regular non-mechanic person such as myself to turn off the blinking airbag light on my 2000 Altima? I don’t have the funds right now to get it fixed. It’s very annoying. I read the following (pasted below) on a website but it only states for 2005 to 2006 models:

This should work on all Nissan vehicles 2005 to 2006, not sure about earlier, haven’t tested it on anything older.

1. Turn the key from off to on.

2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.

3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.

5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

Well? Did you try the procedure? And, I don’t know.

You’ll need to get the Safety Restraint System (SRS) code checked. The light will go on if the system senses a problem, and shut down the airbag system to prevent accidental deployment. The only way to shut off the light is to fix the problem. Anyway that your told to reset the light, the underlying problem will turn the light back on as soon as it is detected. Constantly resetting the light will not keep the light off.

You could always pull the dash and remove the bulb. At least it will not be blinking at you anymore.

If it’s like some cars I know of, removing the air bag light will result in a warning chime.

I think you need to either learn to live with it or put some electrical tape over it.

The easiest way to turn off unwanted or annoying dash lights is a fine drill bit and a Dremel tool…This procedure CAN have a negative impact on future resale value and can cause problems during state inspections. A equally effective solution is a small square of black electrical tape strategically placed over the offending light…

Something you should keep in mind is this. If you’re involved in an accident and the insurance company discovers the SRS system is inoperative or even worse, disabled on purpose, they will have a field day with you.
And they will discover this.

Forget collecting anything and it could even wind up costing you.

You think Altimagirl has full coverage? Is THAT why they installed air bags? To make car insurance more profitable?

When it comes to bags I can take them or leave them. They’re not that important to me.

My point is this. Let’s say she’s in a wreck, it’s someone else’s fault, she suffers some major league injury with a 100 grand medical bill.
When the investigator determines a bag problem was inoperative, ignored, or disabled the insurance company is going to use that point to deny any responsibility for the damages. They will simply say that the driver would have been unhurt IF the bags were working.
If push comes to shove the OP would be in front of a jury and if the jury is told the bags were inoperative/disabled odds are they’re going to say the OP was asking for trouble.

The insurance companies routinely deny responsibility for far less than that. Say the OP does carry full coverage with an underinsured/non-insured motorist clause and they get whacked by a motorist with no ins. at all; the smiling insurance guy will probably can the OP like a tuna if presented with 5 or 6 figures worth of medical bills and it’s discovered the bags weren’t working.

When you are short on funds, as you say you are, ask an independent shop if they can work on the air bag system. Not all have the specialized scan tool or knowledge, so ask, first.