How to access in-tank fuel pump without dropping tank

how to access in-tank fuel pump without dropping tank?

OR … how do I install replacement fuel pump (bypassing original) on outside of tank.

Year, model details (crew cab or standard cab, 2WD or 4WD), engine.

Lots of folks with pickups find it easier to lift the bed than to drop the tank.

Unless you own a pickup truck that has the fuel tank underneath the bed, there’s no alternative to dropping the tank.

I have a Chevy S-10, and on numerous S-10 forums a lot of the folks on there had an easier time simply unbolting and removing the bed. It takes two people, but it does seem like an overall easier approach.

sorry bout that …
95 dodge dakota 3.9L V6 2wd (factory installed camper shell … so ARGH)

95 dodge dakota 3.9L V6 2wd (factory installed camper shell … so ARGH)

tank definitely under bed.

Well, you’re probably in luck then. I know on the S-10 there’s six big bolts holding the bed on, plus a ground strap somewhere and the wiring for the tail lamps that all needs to be unhooked, but it’s not real hard to take the bed off.

You’ll definitely want someone to help you…it’s kinda heavy and unwieldy, as you might imagine. I’d look for a Dakota forum and ask about doing this to see if there’s anything extra involved.

thanks for the guidance.

How big is the camper shell? Does it have mountings for accepting crank-up legs? If so, lifting the shell and driving out from under it, and then lifting the bed still might be easier than dropping the tank.