Hood Won't Stay Up, '08 Impala

I have a 2008 Chevy Impala that I’ve owned for going on six months. It’s treated me very well. I’m just now getting ready to give it a nice wash/interior cleaning this evening, but I noticed while cleaning under the hood just now that I cannot get the hood to stay up on it’s own. I’m not sure what the issue is. I keep nudging it gently, but that’s not working. As recently as yesterday I had the hood up when I was checking the oil…it stayed just fine.

Of course, the pre-2014 Impala generation has hoods without the manual supports. So what might the problem be here? I figure this car is a little new to be having a problem like this. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks, guys.

After a few years, some of those struts will just wear out, and I have found that cold weather seems to be a factor also. If the situation doesn’t improve on a relatively warm day, then there is no alternative to replacing the hood struts. However, you don’t need to pay the dealer’s price, as this part should be available from places like Rock Auto for prices considerably lower than what you would pay at the dealership.

You have gas springs that hold the hood up. It’s those cylindrical things next to the hinges.

Tester

Parts stores stock replacement gas struts, and can even order replacements for you if they don’t have the ones you need. They’re typically under $20.

The gas struts on my car’s rear hatch failed early on in the car’s life. I replaced them with heavy duty struts I found on the internet. They were a bit more expensive, but well worth the extra few bucks.

These should be available from your closest auto parts store, I’ve met quite a few people over the years working for a grocery store who refuse to replace the hatch or canopy struts and instead just prop it up with a broom handle or similar. Looks like they’re available from RockAuto for as little as $11.08 each + shipping. Autozone wants around twice as much.

Replace the hood support strut. it takes 10 minutes if that. Don’t let the hood fall on your head and cut a nice gash. Replace the strut.

…and until you get around to replacing the hood strut(s), make sure that you carry an old broom stick in the car to use when you need to prop the hood open.

Back in the day, when the gas struts wore out on my car’s hood wore out, I started carrying an old tennis racket in the trunk to prop the hood open. An old broom handle or a cheap large diameter dowel from the hardware store cut to the right length would work well too. The dowel should only cost a couple bucks.

The hood struts and the rear hatch struts are not difficult to replace. I’ve done both. Be sure to prop up the hood while you change the struts. The hood is more stable after you have installed the first strut.