Rattled by the hood dropping suddenly

had hood up on my 15yr. old 4Runner to check oil. Backed up to see better, suddenly the hood came crashing down. Pistons gave out with no warning.Still shudder over it!

Sorry to hear that

That said . . . is there a question here?

The truckā€™s out of warranty, so youā€™ll have to buy the part(s)

Does the hood have one or two support shocks?

1 Like

Actually it is not meant to be a question, rather a ā€˜tipā€™ for anyone that works around cars.Iā€™ve never heard of it happening before. I did replace those ā€˜schocksā€™.

Something like this is really not that rare actually. Same goes for rear hatches and so on.

3 Likes

It did happen a bit early, in my opinion

Usually doesnā€™t seem to happen after only 5 years, but Iā€™ve seen it

One of my daily drivers is 21years old and the hood shocks are still original

Another daily driver is 15years old with original hood shocks

Thatā€™s why one should always have a bottle of Aspirin handy.

Or a bottle of !!! bourbon !!!

5 Likes

Gas springs can fail at any time.

Tester

When hood shocks fail is it more from how many times the hood has been up or from age???

1 Like

+1
The gas springs supporting the rear hatch on my Chevy Citation failed after ~4 years. Because I knew that I would be getting rid of that POS , I carried a length of broomstick in the car to hold up the hatch when necessary. Because I was short of funds at that time, I wound up driving that car for another year, but that broomstick was the most significant ā€œinvestmentā€ that I wanted to make.

3 Likes

It can be from age but also if the rod gets scratched it can nick the seal or just leak out the scratch.

The purpose of this post was to share my experience. Iā€™m 77 yrs old, been around cars my whole life, never even heard of such a thing. I know hoods get ā€˜propped upā€™ if the person is aware of this problem but that is not the case here. Not to be melodramatic but it would have been ā€˜curtainsā€™ if I was under that hood! Thanks!

This is why I like a rod instead of shocks.It doesnā€™t break!

1 Like

I think moving the vehicle is what made it drop. Setting still I suspect the hood would have came down much slower or even showed signs that the struts were getting weak. At least the ones I had to replace started to let the hood close slowly instead of just failing all at once.

4 Likes

Do you know how many times Iā€™ve had people bring their vehicles to me, and not tell me that the gas springs no longer held the hood up?

You donā€™t die, but it hurts like hell.

Tester

+1
Even worse is when customers ask you to ā€œcheck the radiatorā€ while their tank is being filled.
The percentage of inconsiderate idiots who fail to mention that their temperature gauge was spiked when they drove into the station is appallingly high.
:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Thank you. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I donā€™t like the idea of gas struts to hold up the hood. Most cars use a hinged prop rod, which is very reliable. I also liked the coil springs which were used on many Chrysler products from the early 90s.

That hinged prop rod is definitely as reliable as can be, but I have to say that my 2011 Outback (my first vehicle in a LONG time that doesnā€™t rely on a prop rod) uses gas struts, and they still function perfectly after almost 10 years. Maybe these devices have improved over the years??

We tend to pick on the bean counters, but I would think a rod would be cheaper than struts, maybe a lawsuit because someone hooked the rod up wrong my guess.

1 Like