Help! Car "Shuts Down" While in traffic

I have a 2007 Nissan murano so and the past 2 days while in traffic in my way home his happens:
All the lights go on (oil, engine, brake, ect)
Cannot push gas or brake and steering wheel is very tight.
I was able to shit te car off and turn it back on within a minute the engine turned and I was back as normal- now the service engine light is on.
I recently had an oil change and they helped reconnect a loose cable to my battery.
I was able to drive to work this morning but again, the service light is on now.
Help!?!

Find a trusted local mechanic. If you don’t have one, check the “Mechanics Files” part of this website for one near you. Do not go to a chain store like Firestone, Midas, etc.

Have you mechanic read the “codes” stored in the computer. The codes will tell him which system(s) are having problems.

The stalling may or may not be related to the check engine light. One guess would be a faulty ignition switch. Do you have many keys on your keychain? That can cause wear on the ignition switch and make it lose contact, stalling the engine.

Another possibility is a faulty crankshaft position sensor. These sometimes go bad and cause intermittent stalling.

Also, you should call your local Nissan dealer and ask if your car is eligible for recall #78949 listed below. The recall is to fix a problem with the intake air ducts that can cause stalling.

It sounds more serious than just the ignition switch, but it would be worth doing the experiement. Remove all other keys and gadgets from the key ring, and see if that helps. The weight of the other stuff on the key ring, as it swings around during driving, going over bumps, around corners, this can sometimes twist the ignition switch enough to turn the car off.

Faulty ignition switch can even cause stalling in “run” position without accidentally turning.

Original Recall from the NHTSA
Model Year(s): 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 Mfr’s Report Date:
August 24, 2009
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V169000

NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING

Potential Number of Units Affected: 362891

Summary: NISSAN IS RECALLING 362,891 MY 2003-2007 MURANO VEHICLES. THE INTAKE AIR DUCTS, WHICH ARE CONNECTED TO THE INTERMEDIATE RESONATOR IN THE AIR INTAKE SYSTEM OF THE ENGINE, MAY SEPARATE FROM THE RESONATOR WITH ENGINE MOVEMENT. THIS SEPARATION OCCURS DUE TO THE PREMATURE AGING OF THE MATERIAL USED IN THE INTAKE AIR DUCTS WHICH CAUSES EXCESSIVE SHRINKING.

Consequence: ENGINE MAY STALL INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy: DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND REPLACE/REPAIR THE APPROPRIATE COMPONENTS FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON SEPTEMBER 24, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261.

Notes: OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .