Group Therapy Session Needed... Assemble the Council

@old_mopar_guy. I was one of the cheapskates back in the day. I bought a 1965 Rambler with a 199 cubic inch engine and manual transmission. It didn’t have power steering or brakes. It didn’t have air conditioning. I replaced the Rambler in 1973 with a 1971 Ford Maverick Grabber. It was an automatic with air conditioning and power steering. It had a 250 cubic inch 6 cylinder engine. The gasoline mileage was about the same as the Rambler. In 1978, I replaced the Maverick with an Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon. It had a 260 cu in V-8, power steering, power brakes, automatic, and air conditioning. It got even better mileage than the Rambler or the Maverick. I now drive a 2017 Toyota Sienna and it gets even higher mpg than my previous rides. We returned from a 700 mile trip a week ago and averaged 27 mpg.
I served my time in cars that were economical for the time period. I think at 78 I have earned the right to be comfortable. I am not going to ride around in an economic that gets 50 + mpg.
Back in 1978 when I bought the Oldsmobile Cutlass, I did look at a VW Rabbit diesel. Mrs. Triedaq thought the Rabbit diesel fit my personality: make a big stink, a lot of noise, and not move very fast.
When I think back to the vehicles I owned, they were relatively trouble free for the time period. I ran the Oldsmobile Cutlass over 240,000 miles with no major repairs. I am not sure a VW Rabbit diesel would have done as well. When I think about the cost of a battery for a hybrid, I can buy a lot of gasoline for that money.

Didn’t you once say that the money you saved on fuel in that Maverick you wound up spending on Preparation H?

@old_mopar_guy. Yes, that Maverick rode like a wheelbarrow. The interior made a school bus seem luxurious. It didn’t even have a glove compartment. There was just a package shelf under the dashboard. I ordered a sliding door kit from J.C. Whitney to cover the junk I stashed in the package shelf.
I was traveling a lot in those days . I have never really cared about comfort in a car, but the Oldsmobile Cutlass that replaced the Maverick was less tiring to drive on long trips. Instead of miles per gallon, when I owned the Maverick, I calculated the miles per tube of Preparation-H.

Back in the 60’s I wrote a lot of checks for $1 at the local Holiday station. That’d give you about 3 gallons of gas which was enough for a Friday night cruising.

1 Like

If you want to avoid all the repair and restoration work, this one looks ready to go, if a bit pricier:

Someone a while back was trying to tell me that fuel prices were basically the same as they are now. I’m no mathematician but to me it seems that fuel was really not such a “dear” purchase as it is now. What am I trying to describe here? The cost of an item relatively speaking? Is that the correct term?

Like I said, no mathematician, but I don’t feel that fuel prices today are “relative” to how they were in the “way back when”, when adjusted for today’s money or relatively speaking…am I correct in this assessment ?

1 Like

That would be dreadful. We had an older man panhandling regularly at an intersection a few miles away. He did this from a wheel chair. He had no legs. I really cannot imagine how he pictured his glass as half full. He had a legitimate reason for what he did. Just showing up would be extremely difficult.
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

Didn’t Holiday have their own savings stamps rather than S&H Greg stamps?

I don’t notice much difference, relatively speaking. To me it’s pretty much the same stuff.

I had a job at one time, commuting about 40 miles each way in my 76 Chevy Luv truck 2-speed automatic, Isuzu 4-banger. Mileage sucked, literally, about a gallon per 20 miles. Then in the middle of my commute was a 5 mile long toll bridge @$1.50 each way. So, 1.50 X 5 days a week X 2 week pay check = $30!

I remember the toll being tougher to rationalize than gas prices. I think gas was around $.66/gallon, but could be wrong. I would go to the bank every 2 weeks and purchase 3 rolls of half-dollars and open them and dump them in the Luv ashtray. Then crossing the bridge in morning darkness I could reach in the ashtray and feel 3 halves and hand them to the toll taker. (I actually looked through them when I dumped them and collect a number of 40% and 90% silver coins!)

Buying gas now for a 1500 mile straight through drive in the Grand Prix is pretty cheap (4 fills). As I said gas prices never bothered me. Gas is a necessity that must be budgeted. Bridge Tolls… Now that’s another story!
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

IMO, the best way to calculate it would be to compare how many minutes the “average” worker would need to buy enough gas to travel 20 miles in the average car then vs. now. This would account for wage and price inflation as well as the greater fuel efficiency of today’s cars.

Just as an example, back in 1966 I got $1.65 an hour for minimum wage. So that would buy 5 gallons at 32.9. Yesterday I paid $2.45 for regular so 5 gallons would cost $12.25 or so. I don’t know anymore what minimum wage is but somewhere in excess of the stated $8. Most places pay $10 for kids and lots of folks are talking $15. So really, depending on what figure you use, gas cost seems to be pretty similar to 1966. As far as I can remember, gas was always expensive and something to be concerned about which is why when there was a gas war for 19 cents a gallon, people would line up.

We’re right around the average inflation adjusted price:

1 Like

My father had a '78 Rabbit diesel. Great fuel economy, but slow and smelly. As far as being trouble-free, I used to joke that with that car, you would check the fuel and change the head gasket.

Comparing that sites NYSE inflation adjusted index to the gas price index leads me to believe that the organization wants to convince me that all things are leading to the perfect Utopian financial dream.

OK… Sorry, back on track (we all know how I love to go off topic…even in my own posts, sorry)

The owner of the Charger finally got back to me. The vehicle is still as yet unadvertised, so I feel like I sort of have a unique opportunity to either snatch this up… or pass it along to one of you guys.

Currently my brother is mulling it over and after that I have one close friend who is reviewing the idea. So stay tuned @db4690 and @ok4450.

I will take this offline if you guys want the info and are seriously thinking about this vehicle purchase.

So the extra details I did not have prior in owners own words:

This guy is the 3rd owner
Original and unmolested vehicle
New Trans w/ all Mopar parts
Owner has 30yr collection of parts that will be sold separately (Basically lists every part of vehicle)
Original paperwork, Invoice, Dealer Inventory Card and Delivery paperwork from new
383 2-bbl “White Hat Special Package”

He is asking almost HALF of what Hagerty values this vehicle in Fair condition… just to give you an idea.

I am not making anything from this sale and I am not in between you and the owner…after initial introductions I guess…

Waiting to hear what “my people” say about the purchase idea as I have run it past only 2 people on my side of the fence.

I probably have more info I’m not recollecting at moment, so PM me if you like…or you can text me on my cell once I receive your PM. Again…I am not in between you and owner…I’m just trying to help you guys out if you are interested. I wish circumstances allowed at the moment because it would already be in my possession for sure.

I’m in no position to take on a project any time soon :frowning_face:

1 Like

I have no idea what this means and have no interest but just between us, is it in the $100K range, $50K, 30K, 70K? Or heaven help us if it’s more. Just wondering how it compares to a nice 59 Chevy Impala.

1 Like

That is not a valuable car, just a hobby vehicle. Worth $5000 to $6000, need to assess the rust damage and see the interior.

1 Like

Too bad it has the 2bbl 383, not the high output one.

1 Like

<< I am an actual verified idiot>>

I was unaware there is an oversight committee for this designation. Please advise as to what governing body I apply for verification. Might as well own it.

1 Like