Group Therapy Session Needed... Assemble the Council

I don’t recall.

That sounds right. Aren’t those “Interceptors” engines that are installed in Police cars so they can do just what the name says?
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

I borrowed the only convertible available at the local Mopar dealership in the mid 60s to carry the home coming queen in a parade and that car had a 383 with a 4 speed, no power steering and a clutch like a 5 ton Mack. It was a tough keeping that car moving smoothly with the band ahead of me. I blew the soot out of it before returning it and I thought the car was labeled ‘Interceptor.’

I’m seeing a lot of references to a “Pursuit” engine moniker by Chrysler Corp in that era, but not so much "Interceptor."
CSA

It’s been a while @common_sense_answer. Soon someone will need to print my name on my hand so I know who I am.

The 383 used in Chryslers from 1959 to 1961 was different. It was made on the “HB” block which was slightly taller and had a different bolt pattern for the heads. It also had a slightly smaller bore and longer stroke than the later 383’s. In 62, the 361 and 383 “LB” engines were produced for Dodge and Plymouth, the HB was enlarged to 413 for the Chryslers.

In 67, Chrysler corp re-introduced the HB 383 as the 383 Magnum and it had 440 heads on it, The 440 heads would not fit on the LB engines.

The California Highway Patrol used Dodges with the 413 in the mid 60’s until they were forced to use Oldsmobile’s in 67. Most of the “CHiPs” were not happy but the Olds did ride better.

The CHP and the Los Angeles County Sheriffs departments each had a few very high speed cars that could qualify at a NASCAR event of the time and SCCA trained drivers for them that got them a reputation of “don’t even try” although most of them were just stock cars you could buy at any dealership.

Thanks @keith. You just made me realize I hadn’t had nearly enough coffee today.

If I remember correctly Mr Norm tried to get Chrysler to offer a 383 in Darts, they built one to show Chrysler it was doable.

My first car was a 1966 Chrysler Newport w/383 and Torqueflite. For such a large (and uncool) car, it had pretty good get up and go. Gas mileage, not so good. And it took a lot of gas just to wet the bottom of the tank…

I am sure you aren’t kidding @TwinTurbo …those were large fuel tanks, 25 gals + I think? How affordable was gasoline back in 66’ anyway? I don’t think people really sweated the cost of fuel in those days.

Well, gas may have been cheap by today’s standards but so were wages. My first job paid $1.15/hr. At one point, the gas line sprung a leak and I was freaking out watching my precious gas leak onto the pavement… :grin:

In 66 I remember buying Good Gulf for .30/gal and a "gas price war" sent the price to .18/gal. Of course, that included a drinking glass or some other promotional item that came with a fill of 8 gallons or more. I could fill my 64 Beetle for 2 or 3 bucks. It held 10 gallons.

Keep in mind that was more like 20 or 30 bucks are, today.
CSA

We had a '63 Polara with the 383 4-bbl, 3 on the tree, tiny tires. A handful when you gave it the gas. I remember it being called the ‘interceptor’ engine, but I never saw that in writing.

Actually, from '67 - '69 there was a Dart GTS. They came with either a 340 or a 383. I had a '68 383. First new car I bought.

Minimum wage is supposed to be raised to reflect the Cost of Living but somewhere in the past they conveniently dropped fuel cost from the calculation. When the minimum wage was $2.15 +/- gasoline was 30c. But a loaf of bread was 19c and a pack of Marlboro was 30c also. Those days were when America was great I understand.

1 Like

There were plenty of cheapskates who sweated the cost of gas back in the 50’s. Studebaker catered to that market.

In 66, when I was attending Community College and gas was $.30/gal, I worked at The Village restaurant (short order joint) washing dishes, bussing tables (no tip sharing in those days), and busting my butt for $1/hour. So, I could get 3 gallons of gas per hour of work. Not bad.

Now, jobs around here start at $9.15 (and go unfilled) and gas is $2.40/gal (checked just now). America is still great from where I sit.

Employment opportunities abound and cheap gas. America, what a country! :us:
CSA

1 Like

Some people see the glass half full while others see the glass half empty. But then there are those who don’t see a glass.

1 Like

I’m fortunate in that mine has always been seen as half-full to full. The negativity of seeing it any other way is self-defeating and counter productive.
CSA

I wonder how it feels to have no glass though, and how to get out of that situation. I’m grateful that I’ve never had to face that situation.