Group Therapy Session Needed... Assemble the Council

With the V8 badge on the front fenders I believe that is a 383, the 440 CI Chargers had a 440 Four Barrel emblem on the fenders (that is a big block in the pictures).

That is an old body restoration, the body filler is coming loose from rust.

The windshield washer reservoir is on the right fender well, in the fifth picture the electric pump can be seen.

3 Likes

I say go for it if you want. One word of caution, I’ve bought several vehicles that I sought out because they were versions of vehicles that I’d previously owned. And the vehicles weren’t as good as the memories. I think they call that “euphoric recall”! All that being said, I like the car and it would definitely be cool restored. I think I’d rather have that car than your run of the mill classic Mustang or Camaro. Although my college roommate had a Daytona yellow convertible 69 RS/ss camaro with a 4 speed that I wouldn’t turn down!

Blackbird, I’ll tell you a little story; first, as my screen name might indicate, I’m a big Mopar fanboy. Last year, or maybe 2 years ago, a buddy told me about a mint, fully restored '57 Chrysler 300C for sale in Los Angeles. I flew out there from NJ to take a look at it. It was perfect, even smelled like a new car. Took it for a long drive. Instead of making me feel young again, that drive made me recall how lousy those cars truly were. Till that day, that car was #1 on my bucket list. I thanked the owner, had dinner at my favorite Italian restaurant in Westwood, and flew home.

By the way, I drove a NYC yellow cab one summer in the early 1970’s. Most of our fleet was late 60’s and early 70’s Coronets. I do not remember them with any fondness.

Ah, I see that now. I thought it was the coolant overflow tank but seeing it from the left fender you can see the radiator overflow hose going to the ground. Gonna need a new tank anyway.

Which one . . . ?!

I live in Los Angeles, and like a good Italian restaurant now and then . . .

Not only that, I’m somewhat familiar with the Westwood area

To keep it car related . . . parking in Westwood sucks

Some years ago I realized that without a decent size shop I wasn’t going to be working on old cars any more, and where I live there’s just no way I’m going to have a place big enough to house a project car. I switched to messing with old scooters and bikes, not Harleys but Hondas and a Yamaha every now and then. They’re small enough to work on in half a 2 car garage, cheap enough that the cost is sort of not important. After lots of work I sell them and start searching for another one. My goal financially is to break even or maybe make a few bucks. There are lots of dead motorcycles in sheds all over America, so if you talk it up everywhere you get tipped off and go mining for gold. Craigslist helps, too.

What I did was set aside in my mind how much money I was willing to throw at a project bike, do the job over a lot of time, sell it and keep the cash in an envelope, and then use it to buy into the next half-baked scheme.

If I had a place to work on the Dodge, I’d consider buying it. If you can’t see under it to look for rust, that’s a big issue. Offer what it’s worth to you, not what you think it’s worth.

I work on my old cars in my driveway. Battery, belts, spark plugs, ignition wires, carburetor rebuild, cleaning out the fuel tank, brakes and tires do not require a large work shop.

If I were to have the rusty quarter panels replaced I would find a body man to do the work.

Matteo’s, a throwback to the 50’s

I did the same thing with a 66 Mustang, I had one when I met the wife back in the mid 70’s, She claimed I loved that “damn Mustang” more than her. Then came the first born, The Mustang didn’t make a good family car with a baby.

Found a beautiful 66 Mustang a few years ago at a decent price, Test drove it, non-power drum brakes, manual steering, ride was squishy, I decided I didn’t want one any more, another dream shot to heck.

I am familiar with the problem. About 15 years ago, I was in the middle of a frame off restoration with summer approaching. I went to the spring car show and swap meet. I found a car I was very interested in that really didn’t need any work. I could drive it immediately while working on my current restoration. About two months later, the new acquisition was in the stall next to the other one and I had the engine out, rear disassembled, transmission torn apart etc to customize it. The older project went to the back burner while I worked on the newest, more exciting project. Good luck buying that and putting it on the back burner… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The fender/quarter rot wouldn’t deter me. However, the condition of the frame would be a huge driver in the purchase decision. I also would not spend more than I could get back if I wanted to liquidate it quickly. A good bargain would be hard to pass up. You don’t see those kind of cars very often…

1 Like

Also try Momma D’s in Manhattan Beach if you happen to be there. Small tables and good food.

I’ll have to check it out . . .

Hi guys, sorry I wound up getting very busy since I was on here daydreaming about a Mopar. Like I mentioned prior…Everything is VERY premature in this instance. The way I found out about this vehicle was via word of mouth far removed from the originator of the info. So I knew where this was and went over to attempt to speak with the owner. I was unable to speak with them so I left a detailed note taped to the door of the house. So I am waiting to hear back from the guy who owns the vehicle and supposedly was thinking about parting ways with this machine.

So again…very premature but that doesn’t stop the daydreaming and we all know it.

I will surely let you know what I find out. If I and a couple buddies also cannot do anything I have no problem turning it over to you guys in the attempt to help this (potential) seller, find this machine a buyer. I hope I didn’t inadvertently mislead anyone with my ramblings here. Just wanted to share my daydreaming and also hear similar stories that you may have had in the past, I think we all have some good tales to tell.

BTW I believe the engine is a 383 definitely not the any of the slant 6’s… Not the 273, 318 or 426 Hemi either (obviously) so… I believe it to be one of the 383 flavors available in 67’ if it is the original engine (no idea). The blue color of engine immediately had me wrinkle my brow, I’m def no pro at knowing all the engine colors and when they came into existence, however blue immediately struck me as being incorrect. Wasn’t blue in the latter time period? 70-80’s? Shouldn’t a 60’s Mopar be that Red/Orange color they used? Hmmm…not sure have to look that up personally. If blue was not a stock engine color…that opens the door for different engine sizes now doesn’t it? I dunno… I haven’t tried to think much more about this until I can speak to the actual owner.

I think the valve cover color is correct. I had a 62 Sport Fury with a 361, as I remember, they were that color. But that was 50 years ago!

1 Like

383 would be that light blue in '67.

1 Like

Just how many colors did Mopar use on their engines @old_mopar_guy?

I was just now attempting to recollect how many Mopar engines I have replaced and I only recall 1, a 318 in a nice old pickup. The roads were full of them but maybe they all fall into either being junked at a young age due to poor quality or aging well and well beyond being worth replacing the engine. I have serviced quite a few Dodge trucks with over 300k miles.

And long ago when Mercedes introduced their SUV I saw one coast to the shoulder with the emergency lights on. I stopped to offer help and the owner said someone who worked for him was on the way and a well seasoned Dodge pickup pulled up as I left. A week or so later that same MB was a few blocks further down that same road and the Dodge pickup was behind me. I saw that happen again once and have since then wondered if the MB owner had seen the light and bought an old Dodge.

Chrysler used blue, orange, red, and turquoise. I get all my engine paints from Bill Hirsch.

https://www.hirschauto.com/mobile/ENGINE-ENAMEL/productinfo/EE-QUART/

They have a good list of which colors for which engines on their website.

Actually I think the engine is a 361 2 barrel. There isn’t a Magnum emblem on the body. The 383 and 440 engines used in the charger of this year were Magnum engines and this one does not appear to be one. It is a “B” block engine (361, 383, 400, 413, 426 wedge, 440) though and not an “A” block (273, 318 340 360). If it has a 4 barrel, then it could be a 383 “LB” engine.

Bear in mind that back then the “Chrysler” version of the 383 was slightly different than the Dodge version, although I don’t remember the specific differences.

Wasn’t there a 383 Interceptor? In the 60s listening to WLS at night a major sponsor was a Dodge dealer on West Grand Ave that ‘dino tuned’ engines and John Landecker could pound down the lines on commercials for high performance Mopars.

It was “Mr Norm’s Grand Spaulding Dodge.”

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2013/07/01/mr-norms-marks-50-years-of-making-mopars-faster/