Ford fusion sport hybrid project

Jesus dude this is all soo helpful thanks so much. I’ll take it into account when looking for future upgrades or modifications.

Again a bit poor choice of words there but where’s the challenge in that haha.

Where’s the challenge in that?

Famous first words said at the beginning of the 20 year unfinished project vehicle! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Also I was wondering if it was at all possible to replace the torque converter of my car (or 6f55 transmission) with an electric motor assuming itll fit and the adapters are there to hold it in?

If so what kind of implications will it have on the vehicle?

I think this is a better option if it ends up working out instead of having to modify the drivetrain as it’s less cutting, will weigh less compared to adding a whole electric motor (instead of replacing an existing part) and might just function better but I’m not too sure just going off of basic logic here.

Haha more or less😅

Show me an example of where someone has done this on any kind of car.

Why not just go get a Fusion Hybrid and use that as your starting point? All the big work is done, you’ll learn a lot by studying it.

That’s a little off, but kinda close. Engines don’t put out a universal level of power at any RPM. There’s a specific RPM range referred to as the “powerband” where they put out the most power. Below and above that powerband, they produce less power. Sometimes a lot less.

The transmission is there to keep the engine not only operating within the powerband as you’re accelerating, but also to keep it operating within its limits. If you just directly connected the engine to the wheels (via a clutch), then depending on what kind of torque the car needed to get started vs the engine’s torque output, you would either have a very difficult time getting the car rolling, or you would end up at something absurd like 20,000RPM once you got up to the speed limit. Or both.

Neither of these scenarios would be very good for the engine, or the clutch for that matter.

Electric cars can get away without having a multi-speed transmission because electric motors put out so much power at 0 RPM that they don’t need the low gears to get started, and they’re perfectly happy spinning at ungodly RPMs that would quickly destroy a normal car’s gas engine; one of the Tesla motors doesn’t start to get upset until you pass 23,000 RPM, and their “normal” ones redline around 18,000 RPM. So all they need is one gear ratio for their entire operating speed range (which in the case of the Tesla Model S is something around 8:1, I don’t remember the exact number).

To a point. You can mate different transmissions to different engines, and sometimes you don’t even need to do any adapting to do it. But it’s not as though you can just drop a transmission from any car into any other car - at least, not without doing some work to get them to work together. And by “some work” I mean “get ready to open your wallet even if you do all the install work yourself.”

The main challenge in doing what you want to do is getting rich enough to afford it. The engineering required really isn’t much of a challenge to a good engineer - after all, we routinely shoot people into outer space. We’re pretty good at engineering stuff in this country. But good engineering (and the subsequent good fabrication) costs a lot of money.

The only way to save money on the fabrication end is to have your own fabrication capabilities, and that means expensive tools, which means you won’t save any money unless you use them for a lot more than just this one project. Otherwise you’re relegated to either buying kits (which means someone has to have done this before you and therefore there’s not much challenge beyond paying for it) or having parts custom-fabricated for you (which isn’t really challenging to anyone involved beyond your having to rise to the challenge of coming up with the cash to pay for it).

If you want an idea of just how much money you can toss into a project like this and how little you get back out… Check out this Camaro V6 swapped, Porsche Red Geo Tracker.

This is $30K to $50K in work and bidding is less than $10K

And a more accurate headline has never been written. :wink:

1 Like

I got the idea from this guy who was able to do it and yea his setup up is extremely different than mine but I have been looking online for less extreme examples and some people actually have discussed the possibility of using one.

This guy was planning to do the same thing but he mentioned that his transmission and engine are integrated into each other.

Oh wow. To be fair though the closest thing I can think of as a dream car (if I had to pick off the top of my head) would have to be the tesla model s with awd and that’s about 100k on it’s own. Listen to this though, before thinking about it I legit searched up “4-door awd luxury hybrid sports car” haha😅. I was curious to see if there was a car somewhere I may have missed but that is basically what I’m looking for.

It is Tesla Model S and at 100000 that is probaly less than you would waste on this Frankenstien vehicle you are posting about . And at least it would sell later at a decent price.

Can anyone explain how putting an electric motor in place of the clutch/flywheel (as on the Nissan in the YouTube above) works? How would it disengage at a stop? How would it engage, carrying the 500+ hp of the gas engine along with the electric motor hp? Seems like they did it, but I don’t know how it functions.

I also would like to know it all sounds very interesting.

Here’s an idea - it acts like a pure EV at low speed: the gas engine is switched off but still being turned by the electric motor, which moves the car. Most all time is at speed on the track, both engines running. Very little control software needed. Would work fine for a race car, not for a street car, I’d think.

What makes you say it wouldn’t work as a street car?

That works when you’re wanting maximum power a lot of the time, the hybrid system is for a power boost. On the street you’re at low power low speed a fair part of the time. Then, the electric motor is driving the shut-off gas motor, losing a lot of energy pumping air through it with no benefit. Could it be driven on the street? Yes, but I bet it wouldn’t get much better fuel economy, and would be pretty jerky as the gas engine started and stopped with no torque converter or other slack in the system (as there is on the Toyota system with it’s multiple motors) to absorb the shocks.

Google ‘Honda Accord Hybrid drivetrain’ and read how that works, without a transmission.

I wonder if replacing the torque converter with an electric motor involves an electric motor with a pass-through shaft that’s also connected to the ICE motor. So when the car wants the electric boost it turns on the electric motor, which otherwise would freewheel as the ICE engine sends power to the transmission.

The need for a bypass and/or something to disengage the gas engine from the transmission was what I wasn’t getting, until I figure out that the gas engine isn’t running at low speed on the race car.

To replace the torque converter on a street car it would have to have what you describe, but it will need something to act like the torque converter, not just a pass through.

Yeah, I was thinking the passthrough shaft terminates in a regular torque converter, but it’s all one unit so you “replace” the torque converter.