Autoshutoff at lights

I have a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid that I bought before Hybrids were in, and I got a great deal on it. Since in is paid off and still getting 45 miles to the gallon, one of the best features I like is the way it shuts off at lights to save fuel. Why aren’t there any aftermarket chip programmers developing a chip to do this with older fuel injected cars. I think it would save lots of fuel instead of idling at lights. Any thoughts??

Great idea. Invent that and make a million. If only I could turn some of my ideas into products. I have an 06 Escape hybrid and like that feature too.

Your hybrid starts the gas motor with the electric assist motor. It is much bigger and more durable than the starter motor in a regular car. A regular starter wouldn’t last too long doing frequent restarts

Actually, that’s not a bad idea. The first really good new idea I’ve heard in a very long time. An aftermarket product that really would save gas.

Circuitsmith’s point, a good one, could be addressed by a heavy duty starter being part of the kit.

It is a good idea, but it requires some upgrades in the battery, changing system and starter. Also keep in mind that there would be a delay when you are ready to go as you would need to first start the car then go into gear and then move. The hybrid can start moving the car with the battery while it starts the motor. If you are going that far, you might as well get a full hybrid.