Flushed oil system

I recently purchased a new vehicle (Porsche 2016 911). I was told that my engine would run faster and better if I flushed the oil. Now it’s making a nasty noise and I’m afraid to drive it anymore than I already have. Any ideas?

Who told you this? What did you do, exactly?

1 Like

I hope this very poor advice you got is not going to lead to the need for a new engine. A new Porsche long block will be obscene in price. So who fed you this line of BS?

Is this noise a knocking or rattling and exactly what was done in flushing the oil?

Wow. A brand new Porsche that may (hopefully not…) be ruined because of some lame advice. And since this may be a self-inflicted problem warranty will not apply.

Did you check to see if they put the oil in it when they got done?

I also would like to know who gave you that ridiculous advice and are you not contacting the dealer about the engine noise. You do have a warranty unless this flush nonsense voided it.

Besides how much faster does anyone need a 911 to go anyway.

It was an engineering student at one of the computer workshops I go to. I don’t know what oil was in it before, but I followed the manufacturers advice on 0W40 synthetic. After it was all said and done I think I ended up putting around 10 liters in. It startup up fine initially but around day two I got a rhythmic ticking noise that’s speeds up with the RPMs.

What did you do to ‘flush’ the engine, exactly, please.

And who did the work?

Good tip @VOLVO_V70 I’ll ask the dealer. Do you guys think this is just a lemon? Manufacturer defect of sorts? I’m quite certain it has nothing to do with the flush as we followed standard procedures.

I had heard before that getting physical things stuck in your engine can cause problems when things are rubbing. I wanted to make sure that no particles or perhaps mineral deposits or anything got in the system. I used brand new equipment. We wore gloves. We even distilled the water we ran through it.

Either way, we made sure everything was clean and oil levels were proper afterwards. The fact that it was running for 24 hours has to mean it wasn’t us, right?

Unless they’ve increased the oil capacity in the last couple of years, you may have overfilled. Last I checked the 911 took 9 quarts which works out to around 8-and-a-half liters. That could be wrong - verify with a manual.

And I second what @texases asked. We can’t know what might have gone wrong until we know what you did to it.

Also, if students were experts they’d be the professor. Don’t take advice from engineering students, especially regarding something that’s still under warranty.

You must be trying to entertain us, who would tamper with a 2016 Porsche engine?

I don’t think Porsche would agree, manufactures generally do not approve of additives, cleaning solvents or water in the engines lubrication system.

The engines oil capacity is 7.5 liters.

Hold it!! You ran water through what? The oil system??
Is this for real??

This has to be a troll. Nobody would put water in the oil, would they?

TROLL ALERT!! ‘We even distilled the water’. Right…

Troll or moron; flip a coin.

My first instinct is always that no one on Earth could be this dumb but I’ve thought that several times in the past and been proven wrong.

@kiefer.waight, if engine manufacturers felt that an oil flush was needed they would have the dealer arrange for you to bring the car back to do it. Auto makers build hundreds of thousands of engines that last hundreds of thousands of miles that do not get assaulted by a water based flush. No car manual that I have ever seen has recommended this type of flush. No one that has an inkling about how gasoline engines work would ever think of running water to flush oil. Let the engineering student give you advice on your laptop, but keep him/her away from anything mechanical.

Take the car back to the dealer and tell them what happened, If you ran water through your engine and ran the engine, you may have just purchased a very expensive new motor.

+1 to @ok4450

I have to agree with those who have said that this is either an attempt at trolling, or is an example of supremely bad judgment.

For the moment, let us assume that this post is genuine, and not an attempt at trolling.
That leads to a few inevitable questions, including, but not limited to…

Why would anyone take the advice of a random stranger (with unknown credentials) in regard to the maintenance of an internal combustion engine…or in regard to anything else, for that matter?

Why would somebody flush the engine of a car that was essentially brand-new, and that couldn’t possibly have accumulated any deposits that might–in theory–need to be flushed-out?

Why would anyone introduce water (whether distilled or otherwise) into the lubrication system of any engine, no less one as sophisticated as a Porsche engine is?

Keifer, I wish you’d offer some explanation that would convince us that this question is legit. It really does sound beyond credibility.

1 Like

Yeah before I read any further I concluded either we were being put on, the guy will never get his engineering certificate, or doesn’t deserve to have a 911. If not, its back to the dealer for a warranty engine or a $10,000 repair bill.

Running distilled water through the engine instead of oil to flush the system??? They only do that on Slick 50 commercials don’t they?

1 Like

Let’s hope not!
Warranties are supposed to give car owners protection from manufacturing or design defects.
As that southern comedian tells us, “There’s no cure for stupid”, and anyone who runs water through an engine’s crankcase is–I’m sorry for having to be blunt–STUPID, and thus does not deserve any warranty protection from the company that manufactured the vehicle.

1 Like