2001 vols Jetta

Recently, when my car idles, it makes a strange clicking noise. As I rev the engine it goes away, but as soon as I stop, it starts again. Any ideas?

On most cars that sounds like not enough oil pressure for your valve gear. If your oil level is right up, I would have the valve gear and the oil pump checked out.

If you have not changed oil often enough it could be both partially clogged oil passages and excessive wear on the valve gear.

No need to go to the dealer, but use a good independent mechanic who has worked on Volkswagens.

I am going to guess that either the oil was not changed often enough, or the correct VW-approved oil was not used, or both. As Doc surmised, I think that some oil passages are really gunked up at this point, and that does not bode well for the longevity of this engine.

Thanks i’ll have that checked, the oil change was done just a couple of weeks ago, they said that there was a leak, would it help to run one of those cleaners in the fuel?

That will provide lots of financial help to the people who manufacture and market the fuel system cleaner, but it is unlikely to do anything for a car that has a problem with lubrication.

Or, to put it another way, this is sort of like someone moving the deckchairs around on the Titanic as it was sinking. That exercise may have made them feel good, but the ship was still going down. Your car needs attention to a problem with its oil circulation a.s.a.p., and fooling around with snake oil in a can is not going to alter the reality of that situation.

got it, thanks for the help.