Doors lock by themselves!

Hi! New to the forum and I’m not sure if I’m posting this in the right spot.
I drive a 2007 Honda Accord and when I park it and unlock it to get out the doors lock themselves back up. Of course I try to hit unlock again and the doors continue to lock themselves. We’ve started just rolling down the window and timing it before it locks to get out. This doesn’t happen every time, just maybe 30% of the time. I could really use some advice on this. Thank you all.

More than likely, this is something that is programmable/re-programmable.
Get the Owner’s Manual out, and peruse all of the info regarding the functions of the door locks, and you just might find the solution.
:pensive:

The owner’s manual has a section on how to program the door locks.

On my Toyota I had the same problem, and went to the dealer who programmed them to MANUAL. This way the locks will last longer as well.

Are you saying you cannot open the locked door with the inside door handle? That is a very serious safety concern! What if your car was on fire? I don’t understand " rolling down the window and timing it before it locks to get out". If you cannot egress the locked car by using the inside door handle Honda should be very concerned. I suggest calling a Honda dealer. Due to liability concerns I would hope they would have the car towed to the dealership and repair it at no cost to you.

Does it still do it it the key fobs are out of range? Could be a stuck lock button on the fob or the car.

Sounds like the “lock” button on your key fob is being pressed so it locks the car when you shut it off, which unlocks the car. It only happens when the fob is in the right place in your pocket and the button to lock the car is being accidentally pressed.

Yep, on a lot of cars the locking feature can be programmed to suit you. So you have to get the owner’s manual out and check the options and how to go back in and select the locking options you want. I think you’ll be able to turn the feature off. Also if you have driver 1 and driver 2 features, they can be different for each one. Our Acura sometimes does the same thing in the garage. Same thing to choose if you want the doors to lock when you put it in drive, unlock if you put it in park, etc. Everyone should have a 14 year old to set these cars up. I don’t.

This is an old problem with Honda door locks. My 97 had the same problem. I think you will find that it will sometimes continue pulling the locks down constantly from time to time. If you are driving down the road and hit the door lock, you will hear the locks continually cycling.

Its the master door lock inside the drivers side door.

But then, if it only locks once and does not keep cycling, it could be something you programmed.

It’s a bad door switch. I’ve had a few go bad on different hondas I have had. to pin point which door has a bad switch, unlock the car with the remote and open and close the suspected door. if it relocks on its own that’s the door. part is $12 online and it secures with a Philips screw driver.

Do you live in a cold climate? If I wash my 2007 accord in freezing temperatures the drivers door lock, which controls all the locks acts up, and all the doors relock. worst case it would be that door’s lock actuator, also test the drivers door switch because those are known to go out too. I believe the symptoms of a bad switch would also include trouble with the power windows.

My lock system performs its own weird trick. If I unlock the doors using the FOB, it gives me three seconds to open something. If I don’t, it locks itself back up again.

My 2010 Kia gives me one minute. Three seconds is weird. I think you have posted that you have some mobility issues. Mine are minor but I would have to be within very few steps to make it in three seconds! I have my house and car keys on a separate ring and very rarely use the fob.

I think that might be unique to Toyota, because my friend’s '08 Rav-4 does the exact same thing, and it has done it since day one.
It is possible that this is something that could be reprogrammed, but because it’s not my car, I won’t attempt it.

This morning on the news there was an officer’s body cam video of him recuing a woman from a burning car. He had difficulty smashing the driver side window and pulling her through it. She was OK and stated that her car stalled and the engine compartment caught fire. She could not unlock the door manually. Yikes! I have no idea if her definition of “manually” was the button or the inside door handle not working. Something in the video that puzzled me was the officer had quite a problem removing the glass as it appeared to be laminated. I thought only windshields were laminated with all other windows being tempered which shatters into small chunks and falls away. I am now wondering if window tint film would create that result? I still can’t decide exactly what OP was describing. “when I park it and unlock it to get out the doors lock themselves back up. Of course I try to hit unlock again and the doors continue to lock themselves. We’ve started just rolling down the window and timing it before it locks to get out”. OP states “get out” twice and appears to have left the building. I will probably never know if mentioning the inside door handle turned on a light bulb over OP’s head.

Perhaps, but I like the idea, because if my brain is in “processing” mode and I unlock my doors and then decide to go back into the store to get something I forgot, I like the doors locking themselves back up automatically. My brain spends a lot more time in “processing” mode than it did when I was young… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I ended up keeping a spare key in my wallet. Not very often but mostly when trying to get the ball under the hitch hopping in and out, 2 inches back a little to the right etc. I would get locked out, maybe I was hitting the lock button accidentally, but when I got an extra key made the key cutter says yeah I have the same problem and keep a spare in my wallet also.

Me too, but I keep it in my pocket with my spare change.
Years ago I left my keys in the passenger seat once without a spare key on me. My roof was partway open, so I went into the Bldg19 store I was parked outside of , bought a cheap fishing pole and sinker, and tried to rope in the keys. after 20 minutes of struggling, I ended up dragging them to where they fell between the seat and the console. I ended up taking a taxi home, getting a spare key, and taking the taxi back to the store… which was not cheap and took more than an hour. Ever since then I’ve kept a spare key in my pocket. :grin:

1 Like

Oh geeze another story. I always used to mount one of those key holders somewhere around the front bumper just in case. Twice I have been disappointed that the thing disappeared. Once at the cabin I was listening to a tape at night and got out and locked the door leaving the key in the car. Next morning the auto club had to send a guy 30 miles to unlock me. No charge and now that I think about it, I should have at least tipped the guy.

Then one 20 below morning I had a water pump go out on the way to work and hobbled to a Midas the closest shop. At night I went to pick it up and said where are the keys? Oh they’re on the dash, um but the car’s locked. No prob, I’ve got a spare under the front bumper if you wouldn’t have parked it in a snow bank. After digging, it was gone too. Rusted off of something. Now I’ve got Onstar and the key in the trunk so I can just call Onstar. I suppose I should just check to see if the key is also under the bumper.

Yes. That is the only purpose I can see being worthwhile. I experience the same processing of useless information. That is why I still drive a manual transmission. It helps keeps me focused on what I am doing while driving.

I have a spare key in my wallet. Even though my car will not allow me to lock the doors with my key in the ignition switch. Prior to that I had a spare key in a magnetic box in the front sub-frame.