Dodge Journey 2.4L 4cyl, secondary actuator stuck open

I’m working on a 2009 4 cylinder Dodge Journey again. My cheapie scanner gave me P2004 OBD-II Trouble Code: Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Open Bank 1. The part to supposedly fix it is the actuator, Chrysler P/N 04884549 AD. Simple installation, get the big intake hose out of the way, and it’s just three screws into the end of the plastic manifold, and an electrical connector. I tore into it this evening. The old actuator seems to have a spot where it hangs up momentarily as I turn its 1/16" X 1/4" blade with a pair of needle nosed pliers. It is spring loaded.

Now to my question. The slot in the manifold that the actuator’s blade goes into only turns a few degrees with the pliers. Maybe 10º, I don’t think that’s far enough to actuate, open or close, the runners. Are the butterflies in the manifold actually stuck in an open position? If so, what is the remedy? I can turn the slot harder, but I am afraid to do it until I find out how far it’s supposed to turn.

This same. or a very similar, 2.4 liter engine is used in a variety of Chrysler vehicles, including Jeep, Neon, Stratus, Avenger, PT Cruiser, and surely some I can’t think of.

The intake manifold runner shaft should rotate about 30 degrees smoothly. If it is binding or stuck this could cause the actuator to fail. You might be able to clean the intake manifold, shaft and butterfly valves to restore operation.

BTW this is the 2.4L VVT World engine, the design is shared with Hyundai, Kia and Mitsubishi. This engine is unrelated to the 1995-2010 2.4L DOHC engine.

I’m sorry, I thought it was like the older Chrysler engine. It does indeed say V V T on the engine’s plastic cover. Is it also used in other Chryco vehicles?

It might be rotating 30º, but I don’t think so.

If I rotate the slot in the manifold all the way clockwise, and then turn it as far as possible counter-clockwise, I see that it probably does turn 30º. I’m going to install the new actuator and see what happens.

That seems to have fixed it. The MIL is off, and appears to be stying that way.