2008 Mercury Milan P2004 code

Hi. I have a 2008 Mercury Milan, with a 2.3L engine that I purchased recently at auction. A scanner produced the OBD2 code “P2004,” which indicates that one of the two IMRC (intake manifold runner control) valves is stuck open. A check of the old IMRC valve found no vacuum going to the intake manifold runner. I have replaced the offending IMRC valve twice. Each time the new valve works for 15 minutes or so, then stops working and the engine light comes on again. Any suggestions on a next step?

Have you checked all the vacuum hoses and fitting associated with the IMRC valve? A leak or a crack in any of them might cause this. At 11 years, cracking would be expected.

Take it back to auction and see what you get for it. You may have found the reason it was there .

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll check that.

Constructive suggestions please.

1 Like

OK, try this one - Take it to a shop and spend about 125.00 to find out what the problem is then you can decide what to do.

I thought @VOLVO_V70 s suggestion WAS constructive. What do you do with a car no mechanic can seem to fix? Send it to auction!

I’d suggest change the intake manifold. Replace the system that keeps eating IMRC valves.

Did you replace the IMRC actuator or the IMRC solenoid? Solenoid failure is more common.

You kind of sound like you still live in your mother’s basement and you have nothing more important to do than sit around making anonymous smart alec comments. Kind of pathetic.

Isn’t the actuator the same as the solenoid? Are there really two separate parts?

BTW, I replaced the solenoid.

The problem is in bank 1, if that’s of any help. That code is set when the IMRC is commanded closed by the ecm, but the imrc monitor says it stayed open. So it could be the imrc monitor signal is shorted out, or faulty actuator or solenoid, or vacuum hose problem (most likely blocked). W/the proper scan tool you or shop should be able to program it open and closed at will, and verify or not if the imrc-monitor state changes accordingly. Probably possible to observe it moving upon command too. Since this gadget is vacuum operated, a problem w/the vacuum source is possible too.

The solenoid has an electrical connector, it opens and closes to apply vacuum to the actuator. The actuator is a vacuum diaphragm that is connected to the intake manifold runner control shaft.

If you have a hand operated vacuum pump test the actuator operation from the solenoid hose connection.

Hey, thanks a LOT for that explanation Nevada. The code that comes up (P2004) actually references the IMRC actuator. I have called THREE different auto parts stores asking for an IMRC actuator. It’s like I’m speaking Chinese. They keep coming back to me with the solenoid valve (which is why I thought they were one in the same). Perhaps I’ll try asking for the IMRC vacuum diaphram. Thanks again!

I don’t currently have a vacuum pump, BTW, but that diaphragm seems to me to be the most likely culprit.

Thanks for the comment.

BTW, you make a really good suggestion to check for a blocked line before I start buying other parts.

Hand held vacuum pumps are pretty much a requirement to have on-hand for auto-repair diy’ers. They are relatively inexpensive, $25-$50, and very handy. I test my vehicle’s EGR valve at every tune-up for example with mine. Can be used for fluid transfer too. And air-bleeding hydraulic systems. And checking for leaky vacuum operated devices and vacuum hoses.

Thanks George. Perhaps I will get a hand-held vacuum pump.