Data Link Location

I would like to know where the data link connector is located on a 1989 Plymouth Voyager. I have the scanner and cant find the #@!* connector

Typically they are located near the driver’s side. 96 and newer ODB-II systems require it to be very close to the steering column. But, an '89 Voyager, it could realistically be anywhere. Look under the hood and in the glove box.

Thank you I’ve looked everywhere I can think of. I am not new to this kind of work and have never had this problem before. Why cant all companys put them in the same place.

i dont think your van has a normal plug.

i beleive the method for your van is to start it up, move the shift lever into all positions, then put it into park, turn the key off.

then rapidly switch the key on and off 6 times. at the end you leave the key in the on position.

the check engine light will flash.

if there are any codes you will have to figure out how to read the blinks.

typically the read goes like this.

a code 1234 woudl flash like this:

flash. (pause) flash, flash. (pause) flash, flash flash. (pause) flash, flash, flash, flash.
pause then the whole cycle starts again.

Thank for the info. However, the vehicle wont start. It overheated and now it just wont start, it turns over and there is spark. I’ve checked the oil for water and it is fine so I dont think it was head gasket. Water pump is fine and radiator and cooling system has all been flushed as well as a new thermostat installed.

ok. whats the real problem? what kind of engine? how many miles, any repair work lately?

more info is needed

I agree; if it won’t start, codes may not be the answer.

Start with the basics. Crank it over and check for a spark at the plugs followed by verifying if you have fuel pressure or not.

If you have a spark and fuel pressure then my advice would be to run a compression test.
Depending on how severe this overheating episode was it’s possible the engine could roasted and won’t start due to low compression caused by cooked piston rings.
At the very least, a compression test will tell you whether it’s worth going too deep financially into the vehicle.