1995 Ford Crown Vic interceptor

I just recently purchased a 1995 ford crown vic interceptor with the 4.6 v8 overhead cam motor.
Has 210,000 miles on it, in good shape for the year, runs quite well but the check engine light is on. I have done some reasurch online and from what i find all forums i have come across state it’s obd 2, but I can’t find the port under the dash anywhere. Do they reloacate them on the intercetpor’s? or could this be obd1 and if so where do they hide the port?

Is there a way to get the light to “flash” the code?

Don’t seem to have any running issues, runs quiet and very smooth, starts easly, only issue is when it is cold if i don’t let it warm up a minute or so it sometimes stalls when i try to give it gas but once it warms up for a minute or so it’s fine, but i take that as just old fashioned cold blooded.

Plan on making a replica STARS racoon city car off of resident evil out of the car.

Many thanks in advance,
Mike

Take your car down to any large auto parts store and have the codes read. They know where the ports are. Post back with the exact codes they give you and someone here may be able to help you get that CEL extinguished.

It’s OBDI if you can’t locate a diagnostic connector under the dash.

Here’s how to pull the codes on your OBDI Crown Vic.

http://www.extreme-check-engine-light-codes.com/check-engine-light-codes/FORD-1983-1995-OBD1-Decoder.html

Tester

I can’t speak with cetainty on the '95 Crown Vic but you have to really watch those pulses as it can get confusing.
Fords will flash an engine code, delay, flash DTCs, separator code, and then continuous monitor codes; a.k.a. wiggle test. Any DTC popping up will flash 3 times consecutively.

There’s also the KOER test with the engine running. It takes a minute for this to occur as it checks itself out and will involve the engine revving up a bit on its own as it does so.

You may also get codes for the brakes and power steering if the pedal is not depressed and the steering wheel is not turned during the testing. You can blow those off if you want to.

The easy answer is to pop the hood and look at the emissions sticker

if the car is OBD2 compliant, it will say so

Since you haven’t located the D-shaped 16 pin data link connector under the left side of the dash, it sounds like this car is OBD1

That would make sense, as OBD2 wasn’t required until the 1996 model year, for cars, vans, and light trucks

There are exceptions, but we won’t get into them, unless you guys want to . . .

Sorry for the delay in getting back, but turns out it is obd 2 found the connector, it has been relocated to the right side of the dash under the stereo kind of. but now it seems my code reader is on the fritz as it’s an blue tooth that links to phone, can get it to connect to phone but won’t connet to car computer. I have tried the reader on my other cars, a 2005 dodge grand caravan sxt and an 2000 pontiac sunfire both with the same results, good bluetooth connection but no car connection.

I haven’t had the chance to take it into the autozone yet to get codes read, this is just a fun project car i picked up for a good price. plan on makeing a replica Starz racoon city police car out of it, working wiht the local town cop to make sure i stay with in the limits of the law but want to make it as close as possible.

It’s running well, no noticable misses, and starts well, just check engine light on.

Found out the guage was stuck on 3/4 tank as ran out of gas the other day, but when i put $20 bucks in the tank gas guage now reads a bit above half tank which seems about right. Still watiing to see if it moves up or down to see if it was stuck or backwards but will know more once driven more.

I’ll post the codes once i can get them read.

Many thanks again for all the advise

Nice to hear from you. Most of the posts around here disappear into a cold, dark area of the universe and are never seen again.

What you are likely to find, EGR low flow or Catalytic Converter efficiency below threshold. Both of these issues can be put on the deferred list…

@Dekota

Nice to hear back from you

Glad to hear that your car is apparently OBD2 compliant

That would make it a lot easier to diagnose, once you get your hands on a code reader and/or scanner that is reliable

The reason I said “apparently” is this . . .

Some 1994 and 1995 model year cars have the 16 pin DLC inside the cab, yet are not fully OBD2 compliant. As I said earlier, OBD2 compliance was not required until the 1996 model year

If your underhood emissions sticker is still present, and legible, it will state if the vehicle is in fact OBD2 compliant

I’m not trying to second guess you. I’m just trying to give you some pointers

On a positive note, it sounds like you’re making good progress and are on the right track

Please post some pictures. I’d love to see your racoon car, because I enjoyed the resident evil movies

:smiley: