Crunchy sensation under floor board

I recently purchased a 2019 Lincoln MKZ that has less than 800 miles on it. When turning the steering wheel, I get a crunchy sound/sensation under my left foot (area designed for you to rest your left foot). I’ve heard of CV joints going bad but it’s usually after years of driving and 1000’s of miles. Any ideas? I’ve been driving for 40 years and has never felt this sensation under my foot.

I’m not sure if a CV joint would make sounds like what you describe, but I’d take it to the dealership for warranty repairs.

1 Like

I know on the Fords we have at work, the steering column is really close to that dead pedal, and I’m always accidentally resting my foot on it, and then I feel it turning any time I turn the wheel. Sure it’s not that?

1 Like

Just looked up dead pedal. This is exactly where the crunchy sensation/sound is coming from. So are you saying this is normal (for Ford/Lincoln)?

My Corolla also has a flat platform designed for the driver to set their left foot, that’s a good ergonomics feature imo. I’d guess the problem is either you can feel the tire as it rotates across the pavement surface (especially if this is noticed mostly when idling), or there’s a strut or ball joint problem. Those parts are designed with stuff in them to allow for the rotation movement required when you turn the steering wheel, and that stuff could potentially be faulty right out of the box. It’s like if you bought a trailer hitch and discovered it made a scratching noise every time you turned or went over a bump. When you inspected it you’d probably discover the surface of the ball wasn’t smooth or matching the other surface.

1 Like

Only if you determine that your foot is hitting the steering column, and that is what’s causing what you feel.

Otherwise, no.

1 Like

With a brand new car, why aren’t you taking it to a dealer?

1 Like

Wanted to get an idea of what the problem could be before having it looked at. I have scheduled an appt and they will pick up the car today. Seems odd to me so wanted value-added input.

1 Like

Good idea. Please let us know what you find out.