Crazy blinker sound

hi everyone! I’m a long time car talk listener, having found the show as a teen now far from that age now, but first time question asker.

I have an 04 Chevy Malibu classic who recently decided she has to have the last word in every conversation: everytime I use my blinker, she continues making the sound at her leisure, even though the blinker light isn’t activated. see my video on YouTube: http://bit.ly/yXvMXW

can anyone tell me what I need to do to stop her from mouthing off after every turn and lane change?

thanks!

This is usually caused by the flasher unit, which is a part of the hazard switch. Get a new flasher unit, pop the old one out, put the new one in, and you should be good to go. They’re easy to change.

thanks, Mark! from the bits I can gather on the web that involves removing the instrument panel cover thingy. if that is true, I’ll just take it to the shop, as I’m not even close to having auto mechanic inclinations (other than listening to car talk). lol

I had the same problem with a 2000 Blazer, except the the sound was continuous. I had to replace the multi-function switch (turn signal, wiper, cruise, etc) in the steering column. It’s a common GM problem from this era.

First, try cleaning the switch contacts with CRC Electrical Contact Cleaner. Spray the contact cleaner into the base of the switch at the steering column while working the turn signal lever to get the cleaner into the switch contacts. A multifunction switch is ~200 and involves a few hours of labor to replace, so make sure the switch is bad before replacing it.

Ed B.