My blinker won't shut up!

So I have a 1998 Chevy Blazer. The latest problem (as I’ve had many) is when I’m driving the car, the sound of the turn signal can be heard even when it’s not on. I checked and it isn’t that the turn signals are flashing when I hear the noise, it’s just the sound of the blinkers being on. It’s obviously some electrical issue. Has this happened to anyone and if so, do you know how to fix it? Oh and by the way, when I apply the brakes the sound stops. Hit the gas and tick, tock, tick, tock.

Thanks, JB

I had the same problem with my 2000 Blazer in February 2006. The problem is the multi-function switch (turn signal, wipers, cruise). There was a recall on 2000 Blazers for this, however the recall had been done by the previous owner so I was out of luck. I replaced the switch, the part is expensive (par for a Blazer) ~$200. The NHTSA web site has directions for my 2000 Blazer.

http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Recalls/2001/V/RCRIT-01V364-5266.PDF

I’m guessing there would be 3 or 4 hours of labor involved. Before you replace it, try spraying some electrical contact cleaner into the switch, it fixed mine for a few days, perhaps you will be luckier.

Good luck,

Ed B.

Let me make a wild suggestion. Replace both rear turn signal lamps. Let us know what happens.