Turn signal flasher problem

I have a 2000 Chevy Malibu and just today after I made a right hand turn, when the turn signal was in the off position the flasher made the sound it would make if I was signaling and there was a burnt out bulb. It makes the noise no mostly when I start the car or turn on the ignition before starting and after I have signaled to make a turn. When I signal everything works fine. The noise does stop and start intermittently when I am driving also. Is it possible I just need to replace the flasher? Just to clarify the bulbs don’t indicate that I am going to turn either direction when the flasher makes this noise, it simply clicks rapidly.

Unfortunately it’s probably the multifunction switch (turn signal, cruise control, wipers. When the multifunction switch went bad on my 2000 Blazer a few years back, the turn signals worked fine, but the clicking was continuous. However, it was at the normal rate.

Try spraying some CRC Electrical Contact Cleaner into the base of the turn signal stalk in the steering column while working the turn signals. This stopped the click for a few days on my Blazer, but I had to replace the multifunction switch anyway. Perhaps you will have better luck, at worst it will confirm if the problem is the switch or not.

The OEM switch is~$200 at the dealer and figure on a few hours of labor to install. It took about 2-3 hours to do the job myself.

Google “GM multifunction switch” or “Grand Am Multifunction switch” for more info. There was a recall on the Hazard switch which is part of the multifunction switch on my Blazer. Check the NHSTA website for a recall on the Malibu. The recall had been done on the Blazer by the previous owner, but the site had the instructions to replace the switch enabling me to do the replacement.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm

Good luck,

Ed B.