Blinkers

My blinkers work on and off and i don’t know what is wrong with them. I will be able to use them at one turn and the next turn, it might not work. Shutting the car off doesn’t help either. ???

Left AND right sometimes don’t work? Probably need a new flasher unit. Usually inexpensive and relatively easy to replace.

The 97-02 Malibu/Grand Am’s had problems with the multifunction switch (turn signal, cruise, wipers, etc). Google has a lot of hits for this:

http://www.google.com/search?q=malibu+multifunction+switch

I had to replace the multifunction switch in my 2000 Blazer a few years ago. The turn signals worked, but the clicking noise was continous. There was a recall for my model year but it had been done by the previous owner. The part cost about $200, took a few hours to replace.

Try spraying CRC Electrical Contact cleaner into the base of the switch at the steering column to clean the contacts.

GM has a problem with the mult-function switch. Try this: With engine running click the right turn signal. If it works then try the left turn signal. Keep trying until the right or left blinker does NOT work. Then pull lever back slightly and see if it works. If it does then replace the multi-function switch. I would install a new flasher in any regard.