Weird clicking sound

I have a 1998 Chevy Blazer. When I turn my blinkers on I can hear a clicking sound coming from the right side of the car. Recently I will randomly hear the clicking sound when I don’t have my blinkers on. The blinker light on my dashboard doesn’t come on so I don’t think the blinkers are turning on. Some times it will click just once and other times it will click continuously for about 5-10 seconds.

It sounds like the multifunction switch (turn signal, wipers, cruise) is the problem. When the multifunction switch failed on my 2000 Blazer the flasher unit behind the glove box was on continuously. The clicking was constant whether or not the turn signals were on or off.

Try spraying some CRC Electrical Contact Cleaner (try Lowes or Home Depot) into the base of the switch on the steering column to clean the contacts. This stopped the clicking on my Blazer for a few days but I had to replace the switch.

The switch was ~$200 and figure on a few hours of labor for installation. Verify the switch is bad since it’s not a cheap fix.

Ed

Thanks for the suggestion!