Cherry Bomb Extreme Muffler

I got a glass pack fix it ticket when I was 19. As far as I know they are still legal in OR but if they are excessively loud you can be cited. I compare the loud 4 bangers to a weed eater but chainsaw also works.

Another name for loud 4 banger mufflers - ā€˜fart cansā€™.

I will have to steal that one!

What do you call the racket from a Harley ?
OP ,one thing you have to watch on these cherry bombs is to make sure that the outlet is as big or bigger then the inlet .One of my former Ford hating bosses bought a cherry bomb for a 70 model Ford ton stake bed truck we used ,the DA bought a muffler that had a smaller outlet and on a grade we called North Mtn,the truck would run about 5mph slower up the grade with the smaller muffler iinstalled (no wonder the truck kept blowing it off) there is no cure for stupid ,apparently .

What do you call the racket from a Harley? Iā€™m sure extra loud Harley riders call it ā€œmusicā€. I have heard a few that come close to a AA/fueler! The cops may give them a pass because they fear being shot. Your bossā€™s idea of replacing a stock baffle type muffler with an expansion type glass-pack for better performance was sound. The smaller outlet which I assume needed an adapter to match the tailpipe resulted in a negative+ of anything gained. Exhaust gas flow is limited to the smallest restriction. Iā€™m not surprised the poor truck rejected it by blowing it off.

If you think an unmuffled Harley comes close to the noise of a top fuel dragster, YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW LOUD THESE CARS ARE!!!

It has been decades since I have been close to a AA/fueler but recently I have heard Harleys that were very very loud. It was my point that some Harleys can be very loud!

[sgtrock21] sgtrock21 http://community.cartalk.com/users/sgtrock21
August 13

What do you call the racket from a Harley? Iā€™m sure extra loud
Harley riders call it ā€œmusicā€. I have heard a few that come close to a
AA/fueler! The cops may give them a pass because they fear being shot.
Your bossā€™s idea of replacing a stock baffle type muffler with an
expansion type glass-pack for better performance was sound. The
smaller outlet which I assume needed an adapter to match the tailpipe
resulted in a negative+ of anything gained. Exhaust gas flow is
limited to the smallest restriction. Iā€™m not surprised the poor truck
rejected it by blowing it off.

Right on ,but the reason He bought it was cheap.

I agree that many of them are very loud, in fact I wonder how they get away with it. Maybe itā€™s ā€œHarley Davidson Privilegeā€. When people ask me why I donā€™t modify the exhaust on my bike, I usually tell them ā€œI want my neighbors to use all five fingers when they wave at meā€.

Good point ,loud noise can be very fatiguing in its own right.

I had a mustang with glasspacks on it. It was extremely loud and at the time I loved it. But one time while about 1 hour into a 2 hour trip I started getting annoyed by it and by hour 2 I was ready to drive the car into a tree.

I agree about the loud exhaust attracting unwanted attention, but it all depends on where you live. I mean I see vehicles everyday around here that have missing headlights, broken taillights, smashed windshields, the whole bit. Trouble is we have no law enforcement so anything goes. I mean I seen a vehicle without a hood last year. Where did the hood go?

I wouldnā€™t worry about a missing hood. That isnā€™t likely to cause anyone else harm. Itā€™s the bald tires, glowing CEL, burnt out tail and head lights that tend to bother me more.

A leaky or missing exhaust doesnā€™t bother me as much as it will the driver. Headaches, CO poisoning, ect.

Now a loose exhaust just itching to drop off is another matter.

3 Likes

What is everyone talking about that you canā€™t use a cherry bomb or glass pack in your exhaust? It can most definitely be done. Use this as a guide: http://www.grandprixforums.net/threads/87708-W-Body-Custom-Exhaust-Build?highlight=exhaust+systems

Donā€™t know that folks are saying ā€˜canā€™tā€™. More like ā€˜shouldnā€™tā€™. Cherry bombs were the cheap, loud choice when I knew them. Better options out there.

Texases, we call them ā€œfart cansā€ where I live too.
Rcharney, I donā€™t think anybody is suggesting that glasspacks cannot be used, just that on a 4-banger they sound really pathetic. But that, like so many other things, is just an opinion, and in this case one from somebody whoā€™s been hearing glasspacks on various cars for a very long time. And sometimes I have to remind myself that I was a kid once too. And that fads change over time.

1 Like