0 mufflers 3 cats

i recently decided that cutting off my mufflers would be cool. after i got done using a radial metal saw and drove around i loved the sound. i know need to figure out a way to bend the pipes alittle and weld a straight pipe about 2 feet to my tips. any suggestions on how or what the easyest way to do that is?

0 mufflers = 0 problems FOR YOU…NOT for everyone else who you drive by.

What kind of car is this?

Edit: Different vehicles have different exhaust tones, generally the low V8 rumble is better received than the weedwacker-on-steroids sound of low-displacement 4 banger sans muffler.

Find someone in your area who does custom exhaust work. They can make the pieces you need.

How do your neighbors feel about this “cool” modification you made?

Also how do the POLICE feel about it. One punk kid in my neighborhood did this…IT WAS LOUD…One day at 2am he comes screaming down the street…I called the police…Nice little $500 fine.

You wouldn’t like living by me :slight_smile: I don’t have any mufflers or catalytic converters (no emissions testing where I live) on my Bronco. Just 2.5 pipes culminating in 4 inch tips. It’s pretty loud, loud enough to set off car alarms. I don’t make it habit of roaring around the neighborhood though. I have yet to get any complaints, and there are two policemen who live in my neighborhood. I do get compliments on how nice and NASCAR-esque it sounds. On the Mustang I have an off-road H-pipe and single chamber flowmasters; I’ve gotten several compliments from different people (including cops, who happen to be musclecar enthusiasts). Sounds like the cops where you live don’t have enough to do.

Around here at least 50% of pickup trucks run straight pipe or chambered exhuasts, it’s usually the first thing new owners do once they drive it off the lot.

I live in a residential area. If you lived in this neighborhood and drove it down the street at 2am you can BET I’d call the police.

I could see that being reasonable if I was purposely stomping on the gas and making a scene. But if someone was just rolling by at 25 MPH at like 1200 RPM, that seems a little excessive of a response. What’s the population density where you live? I could see this as a problem in a high density area that has alot of houses in a relatively small area. But out in the boonies where I live where lot sizes are usually 2 acres or better, its not a really big issue since houses are farther apart, there are fewer people, and half the population runs loud exhausts anyway.

“Noise” is a funny thing. Some frequencies are obnoxious while others can be tolerated or even enjoyed. I have a significantly modified big block Chevelle. At one point, I had straight pipes that ended well short of the rear bumper. Man, that thing sounded sweet! Lots of compliments on the tone. It COULD set off car alarms if you romped on it. You could feel it in your chest at idle. I had cops come up to the car at local cruise spots to check it out. Anyway, to your point, they can be tolerable. But those high revving, tin can exhaust jobs that sound like angry insects tend to grind on people’s nerves regardless.

I don’t mind an occasional loud exhaust passing my house during normal active daylight hours. I’ve had neighbors who constantly were tearing off or coming and going with their teenaged friends and their loud exhausts and that gets old fast. Above all, you have to be considerate of others.

I would do the same. (This also applies for a sound system turned up too loud)
There is enough noise in the world, why make more on purpose? I don’t care what you listen to, but don’t make me listen to it too.

I could see that being reasonable if I was purposely stomping on the gas and making a scene. But if someone was just rolling by at 25 MPH at like 1200 RPM

I don’t mind that at all…I like the sound of a nice running car…but there IS a point where it gets just too much. People have to be considerate to others.

I would do the same. (This also applies for a sound system turned up too loud)
There is enough noise in the world, why make more on purpose? I don’t care what you listen to, but don’t make me listen to it too.

That’s one of my other noise pet-peeves. What got me one day was this IDIOT driving his Subaru past me in the middle of winter (both of us had our windows rolled up) and his stereo was so loud I couldn’t even hear mine until he passed me. As he passed I looked over at the little punk…some 20 something with two kids in car seats in the back…WHAT A JERK…He should be arrested for child endangerment.

When I bought my '76 Chevy pickup, I didn’t even notice that there was no muffler-- the huge 70’s era catalytic converter muffles everything just fine.

You won’t get much support for your racketmobile in this crowd. Or amonst your neighbors. Or amongst the cops.

And you shouldn’t. At least have the decency and self-respect to put some glass packs on it.

i have a ford taurus SHO its a small v8 but it packs a big supprise

Make sure to get the camshaft sprokets welded. Otherwise you may be in a for big suprise as well.

i checked taht out, i had problems with my idling so i had a mechanic look at my car. he said the camshaft was welded so… i only hope he knows what i was talking about