Check engine light and oil change

My Finace’s check engine light has been on for about 2 years. I recently changed the oil for her for the first time. I did nothing out of the ordinary, just changed the oil and the filter. Upon completion of this task, the check engine light has now turned off. The light did not blow, it still lights up when I start the car. I did not disconnect the battery, and the light has been consistently off for the last 2 weeks.

Why would the light turn off?

P.S. I think this would make a good puzzler.

Are you saying this is the first time you, yourself, changed the oil in this car, or that this is the first time the car’s oil has been changed in two years?

I don’t know why the light went off. I’m more interested in why you’re engaged to someone who ignored the CEL for two years.

My Finace’s check engine light has been on for about 2 years

So for two years it has been trying to tell you/her something and no one bothered to listen? That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer.

You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

If you ignore the light, it could means something serious is causing expensive or dangerous damage. Yea, it may have burned out, but my guess is there was a wire or maybe a vacuum line that was/is loose and when the oil was changed it may have made better contact for now.

Even if the light was originally un-important, but unless you pay attention and have it checked you may not know when a serious problem comes along.

Does This Vehicle Have A “Low Oil Level” Sensor ?

Often cars with this feature illuminate a “check engine” light when they are down a quart or more. You are supposed to read the words “check engine” and literally “check engine”, including making sure it’s got oil in it.

Maybe this is the first time in 2 years that the oil level has gone up to “minimum” level. You don’t say how many miles this car is driven or even what Model-Year it is or how many miles on it.

How’s the balance in her checking account ?

CSA

Read The Car’s Owner’s Manual And While Going Through it Check For A Low Oil Level Sensor / Indicator.

Many of these Beetles have that feature.

"P.S. I think this would make a good puzzler.

That could take the big mystery out of a lot of things like driving for 2 years with a red light shining in one’s eyes.

CSA