Aquatune

We had a bunch of Popular Science and Mechanics Illustrated from the 40s-60s, remembered those advertisements well. In the early 60s discovered JC Whitney catalogues, many of their products made the same claims.

I love that reasoning. I remember back when I got my first car, a bunch of my (teenage male) friends were going crazy over a product that had a name something like Intake Tornado. Basically it was a little plug that went in the intake. Had vanes on it to introduce “swirl” to the air so that it would enter the throttle body with less turbulence and therefore increase power.

I wasn’t very popular when I pointed out that it was bunk - that if a 5 cent piece of plastic could really get you 10-50hp, then all the car makers would be using it to up horsepower numbers and sell more cars. Plus there’s that whole 90 degree elbow at the throttle body that’s gonna disrupt any swirly air you’ve got going on. They went on and on about how the manufacturers were intentionally not using them so that they could keep us from using the “full potential” of our engines.

Oy. And these people vote. :wink:

1 Like

I remember seeing ads for the tornado/turbine/intake swirlarator. It kind of just eventually disappeared from the market didn’t it? I haven’t searched for it, maybe they still sell them.

I’ve never heard of the “aqua tune” though and I’m not entirely sure how it’s supposed to work. It appears it injects a little water into the engine
? I’m trying to understand the theory. I guess it reduces the temp of the air before combustion, basically?

@shadowfax. Actually, the real reason these gadgets to improve mileage and performance didn’t succeed was the wonderful additives that were put in different brands of gasoline back in the 1950s. We had Shell gasoline with TCP and Super Shell with Platformate. Standard oil featured gasoline that contained M2PG. We had DX gasoline with Boron. Phillips 66 gasoline was advertised as Flyte fuel which made your car perform like an airplane. You hoped your car wouldn’t go into a stall.

1 Like

I always leave my engines bone stock. The manufacturer designed them that way for a reason, is my thinking.

All these folks that are looking to squeeze “untapped power” from their engines need to search for that post a while back from the Ford Super Duty guy with a blown engine. He put one of those programmer/chip things on his new diesel truck, and the engine blew shortly afterwards. Maybe the chip didn’t cause it
 but he said the Ford dealer sure zeroed in on that when denying the warranty repair. Seems like it was $10-20k or something on him.

No thanks. :slightly_smiling_face:

It would be one thing if they simply did nothing but some of them actually degrade performance-

Yeah, water injection is a real thing. Fighter planes used to use it back in the piston-prop days. It cools the intake charge which allows a larger amount of fuel/air mix into the cylinder, absorbs heat from combustion (so it doesn’t get absorbed by the cylinder walls), etc. You can even use it with jets to the same effect, tthough I don’t think it’s used in practice on airplanes, at least not routinely.

So, it works in theory as a heat absorption medium, although if the ECU isn’t set up to handle water injection it’ll cause more problems than it solves. If I remember right it was used by some actual factory cars back in the 60’s. And BMW uses it in the M4 GTS.

The water-junk they’re talking about in here supposedly cracks water into its components - hydrogen and oxygen, and then burns them in the engine to make power which recombines the components into water again. Even if the “hydrogen generator” really is cracking the water rather than just turning it into steam, that cracking takes a lot of energy - more than you get from re-combining it.

After all, if you could get more energy by burning the hydrogen than it takes to crack the hydrogen from water, and the byproduct of combustion is water, then all you’d have to do is route the exhaust pipe into the intake and you’d have a perpetual motion machine. Which, of course, is impossible.

1 Like

So the aquatune deal (assuming it doesn’t seperate the H from the O) could give the same benefit that a cold air intake is supposed to give. Except a cold air intake generally doesn’t provide colder air. I suppose you might feel a performance difference. Seems like the device would have to be pretty precisely calibrated though, or you’re in for trouble.

The trouble is that modern engines which are not in the BMW M4GTS have ECUs that are set up assuming the only thing you’re stuffing into the throttlebody is a fuel/air mix. They have no way of knowing that you’re putting water in there, and so they won’t make adjustments to compensate for the altered mix.

Oh, if you used hydrogen peroxide would you get twice the O?

@ledhed75. I agree with keeping a car stock. When I repaired my Ford Maverick, I always used genuine Ford duct tape.

2 Likes

Also, the turbines compressing the air intake cause heating so the water helps combat that.

This idea of introducing liquid or even vaporized water to a naturally aspirated gasoline engine is completely ridiculous. Even electrolyzing the water to generate hydrogen gas is a pig in a poke. We used to do that to make hydrogen bombs as kids using our toy train transformers. As you said, it takes more energy than it gives back. But another issue is one of volume. If one of these geniuses ever considered the volume of air processed by an engine every minute compared to the volume of hydrogen being produced by this miniature electrolysis machine, it would be readily obvious that such a minuscule amount of hydrogen per cylinder volume could have NO appreciable effect

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the Aquatune nonsense involves splitting water and using the hydrogen. It’s not water injection to limit detonation. So it’s BS.

The only aqua tune I’m interested in is a waterproof speaker.

Check https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1099009_bmw-water-injection-can-boost-power-and-cut-fuel-consumption . Aquatune also dissociates water using electrolysis, which may potentially help some more although I would have thought that @ about 50% efficiency, they are using much more energy to create the H2 than what they are getting back in terms if improved engine efficiency.

I have made and installed water injection systems on a couple of vehicles and both responded very well. The water vapour removed carbon in the combustion chambers of one and prevented a major running-on problem it had had for years.

Lower octane fuel typically contains more energy than higher octane. It follows, that if water injection enables the use of lower octane fuel you are going to get better mileage.

1 Like

Hi Geoff:
Welcome to this site. I’m sure you’ll find lots of very interesting past discussions on water injection.

I am curious though. Aquatune seeks dealers to help sell their products. Would the reason for your post be because you’re a dealer for them?

2 Likes

And congratulations , you just got Flagged as Spam.

1 Like

This was flagged but since it seems that @Geoff-30 has some experience in the area I am with @JoeMario.

I think Geoff-30 was just responding to the thread, not hawking Aquatune. His link was to the Greencar article about BMW using liquid water injection, not the electrolysis junk vendors.

1 Like

Agreed with texases. Aquatune even says its’ about splitting water and using hydrogen.

To add ridiculousness to it all, read some of their testimonials. One person said they got 16 MPG with their Range Rover. After installing Aquatune they claim to get 41 MPG.

One guy (Ford Escape) EPA rated 17 in city driving was getting 11 before Aquatune. Now he’s getting 19; a 72% increase in mileage according to this person. So with AT he’s back at near normal.
Seriously, how naive does one have to be to buy into this bunk.

3 Likes