Aquatune

Does Aquatune really work? A friend of mine sent me this website www.aquatune.com and told me their car really does get better gas millage and the oil has been cleaner. However, my scientifically minded friends tell me all the claims on the website are impossible. Could the effect my friend experienced be all coincidental? He is not a dealer, plus would just like some other points of view. Thanks

No. This is another in a long line of snake oil promotions dating from the 19th century. There are no magic pills, potions, additives or water injection devices that work. This device was marketed back about 40 years ago with a different name. It tended to put excess water in the cylinders and on into the oil. It did not work then and it doesn’t work now. The website is also very chintzy looking. You did not pick up on that? You have very intelligent friends except for the one that sent you the web address.

The ‘how it works’ section is especially good for laughs. What complete NONSENSE! And these systems haven’t been around for 40 years - actually, more like 100 years! I was just reading a collection of old car ads, one of which, around 1910, was promoting this very idea. Didn’t work then, still doesn’t.

Thanks.

Scam, just like all the similar products. Save your money.

I did not do any research on the water injection systems. I was using my memory. There was a “Water Wizard”, I think, attached to a 67’ Tempest I bought for a song. The engine was hydrolocked because of the gadget. I pulled it home from the car lot and had it going in about an hour. Great car! Keep me in line.

Your scientifically minded friends are correct and your friend who claims that it works is suffering from a severe placebo effect or he has a vested interest because he’s selling this scam.

Sorry MM, looking at my post it came across wrong, just trying to enforce your point. It was just coincidence I happened across that book last week, not memory!

It seems to me that Oldsmobile had water injection on an F-85 model that I think was called the Cutlass(not to be confused with later Oldsmobile Cutlasses) back in 1962 or 1963. The engine had either a supercharger or a turbocharger. The point of the water injection was to slow down the combustion in the cylinders to minimize denotation (pinging). I don’t think it had anything to do with improving gasoline mileage or keeping the oil cleaner. Oldsmobile dropped the model after a year and I don’t think the water injection worked very well, and an alcohol solution had to be used in the winter to prevent freezing and carburetor icing.

The website for this gizmo refers to water injection as used on WWII aircraft and it’s true that water injection was used to boost power under a Full Military setting.
However, it’s only used for very brief intervals when a pilot has to get out of a jam.

Water, and antifreeze, under combustion is corrosive and constant use of it will trash an engine.

Water injection works BUT not nearly so effectively as they claim. You probably won’t recover the energy needed to haul around the extra water and supply the electrical demand. I have seen water injection used on stationary engines where you are not hauling the water around, and even there it is barely worth the cost and trouble for what you gain.

Some of the statements made in their “how it works” section are technically correct, but several of the statements are just silly. “ultra-sonic frequencies splitting the hydrogen from the oxygen” Really?

Most people will report mileage gains when they spend money and bolt some ‘magic mileage improver’ on their car. This is because they want to believe that they are not suckers, and they drive very carefully and calculate mileage very optimistically. Once they get back to driving normally and they do a three-tank average under their typical driving conditions, they quietly take it off and throw it away.

Now, if your friend wants to invest in a cutting-edge technology that is unencumbered by the laws of physics, I have been thinking of putting a windmill on top of an electric car and making a perpetual motion car
 :wink:

I don’t know if these other people have the product to be giving it a review. I have had on my car for 6 years. I have news for all of these people out there, alcohol allows for a longer fuel burn by increasing the engine’s total advance thus more torque and HP. I run anywhere from 43 to 47 degrees total advance on my car depending how I tune it. I can tell it not worth the money. Basically, it’s a mini carburetor which works off vacuum which is safer than under pressure. It’s all on how you tune it. I run straight 70% alcohol in mine. The unit is really worth about $100 to $150. If people don’t think alcohol really works maybe we should get rid of Alcohol Fuel Funny Cars because low 5 seconds in the 1/4 mile just isn’t fast enough. Gas mileage? You don’t get good gas mileage with my mechanical roller cam and Trick-Flow heads, I don’t care what you do to it, it’s just not going to happen. I’m attaching a picture to show you I run on my car and it’s not just hear-say. Bottom line, I wouldn’t buy it, it would be a waste of money for most people. but rather make one myself on my mill and lathe. The car is also on youtube under first start Chevelle 336 if you want to hear it.

Here’s another close-up picture of Aqua tune in my Chevelle. It Y’s out and is connected to the front and back base of the carburetor. Also, I have cleaner oil with no water in the engine at all which I’m running 30% water and 70% alcohol. This is probably because I put oil in my engine. I’ve had it apart a lot adjusting valves, new cam, etc. so I know in my case.

@cdaquila For some reason Ricardo revived an old thread with spam on it to recommend a Snake Oil product.

I took the hood off my 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass and removed the air cleaner. I ran a wire from the positive terminal of the battery to the base of the carburetor. The electrical energy separated the hydrogen atoms from the oxygen atom. The atoms would be drawn into the engine where they would recombine and produce power. Unfortunately, my system only worked when I drove in the rain.

1 Like

Back in the 70’s the big thing was cow magnets. You get a couple and strap them onto the gas line just before the carb. I think I paid $3 a piece for them at the farm store. And you know what? Once I took them off the gas line, they were the best dang magnets I ever had. I lost one and kept the other in my tool box until it broke. The only better magnet were from computer hard drives, but those can break your fingers. So there are always positives from fuel saving devices. I always wondered what the packing houses did with all the magnets in the stomach of cows when the slaughtered them.

Years ago my BIL saw a guy at the truck stop that demonstrated how his car ran on water-eh hydrogen from the water. Had something hooked up to a battery to separate the molecules or something. Yeah it was going to rival that 100 mpg carb we always heard about that GM bought out. The circus only comes to town now one week a year so sales are slow.

1 Like

We had wonderful accessories to improve the performance or make the engines last longer back in the 1950s. There was a spark intensifier that was attached between the coil and the coil wire that made for a hotter spark and thus improved mileage while increasing performance. There was the porous bronze oil filter element that replaced the cartridge. This filter trapped the microscopic particles that damaged cylinder walls and bearings. There was the magnesium oil plug that would neutralise the acid in the oil so that the engine would last longer with less frequent oil changes. Some of these oil plugs had a magnet to catch the particles that would destroy an engine. There was a battery additive that would extend the life of the battery. Of course, all of these products were taken off the market because of a conspiracy between the auto manufacturers and the parts manufacturers because these “inventions” made cars last too.long.

2 Likes

Hi Ricardo:
New ideas are always welcome, especially in a forum like this where we learn from each other.

What’s important, however, is to also provide the details behind your assertions. Any claim needs to be accompanied with how and why the results were achieved, and how they can be reproduced.

Thank you.

There is no legitimate evidence for a scam. This is one of those ‘run your car on water’ sites. Nonsense.

Totally agree. Most of us have known that for years.
I was trying to politely say if you’re going to post with an assertion, the onus is on you to substantiate it.

1 Like