Water for fuel?

What do you think of the “water for fuel” advertisements that are popping up? They sell you a jar w/ electrodes, you put water in the jar, the jar is hooked up to the power in your car, the water is changed into hydrogen and oxygen, the hydrogen is pumped into the engine, your fuel economy increases! Does it work?

Use the Search function!

can you suggest a search topic that debunks this?

It doesn’t have to be debunked. Any sane person knows it’s pure crap; or they should.
This scam first appeared almost a 100 years ago. How long does the R and D take?

It’s a load of crap, plain and simple. Actually, cars will run on crap… Top Gear did a bit on it. But you won’t notice any difference with this thing.

Simply put, the theory violates the laws of physics. It is a perpetual motion machine and not one of them works.

The energy required to break down the water is equal to the amount returned when you burn the results less all losses.

If this really worked, do you think you would have to buy it from unknown internet sites?

Have you ever heard that supposedly, according to the laws of physics, bumblebees shouldn’t be able to fly. But, I have seen several flying.
What I’m looking for is this: I want someone to tell me where to find the information debunking the idea that installing a device that will separate hydrogen from water and introducing this hydrogen into the intake manifold will increase your fuel economy. Would this increase your fuel economy or not? I haven’t come across anything proving this false… has anyone else?

Why don’t you give it a try and let us know how it turns out:)

in essence you are searching for the holy grail. (it is believed to exist, but has not been found yet… at least by people who are alive)

but…

you want proof. but no one has proof. (at least no proof from people who have NO investment in the product) so is that not proof by itself?

if you want proof, buy it, and report back YOUR findings. then we will all be enlightened by your experience.

Well, a friend of mine is thinking about buying one. He asked me what I thought, I told him I was pretty skeptical, but he explained he hasn’t found any proof it wouldn’t work. I have tried and failed (to find proof anyone has tried this setup- installing a device that will separate hydrogen from water and introducing this hydrogen into the intake manifold to increase your fuel economy). He will probably buy it, and if he does, I will report the results.

Mythbusters tried it, and it failed. Of course, you can’t “prove” a negative. You can only keep trying until you are convinced.

It won’t work, basic conservation of energy says it can’t. If you don’t believe that, there is really nothing I can say that will make you believe it’s a hoax.

By the way, why bother with this special cell. The car’s battery produces hydrogen as it recharges. Why not take the hydrogen off the battery and use that? If this idea worked at all, why would someone not have done that in the past 100 or so years?

Well… What mythbusters did was empty the gas tank and try to get the car to run on hydrogen… they didn’t try to produce hydrogen by electrolysis (water in a jar, then apply electricity- producing hydrogen and oxygen), and then supply this hydrogen to the manifold as a supplementary fuel source (you still use gasoline as the main source of fuel) to see if it would improve fuel economy.

I think I may have answered my own question. If you want to debunk this idea that you can produce hydrogen by electrolysis (water in a jar, then apply electricity- producing hydrogen and oxygen), and then supply this hydrogen to the manifold as a supplementary fuel source (you still use gasoline as the main source of fuel) to see if it would improve fuel economy then check out this website. http://mb-soft.com/public2/hydrogen.html

If you want to debunk this idea that you can produce hydrogen by electrolysis and then supply this hydrogen to the manifold as a supplementary fuel source

Of course electrolysis is a well know process. I did it in high school chemistry class. Yes, hydrogen will certainly burn in an engine, by itself or as a supplement. No question. Here’s the problem. The electricity that produces the hydrogen will take more energy from the engine than the amount you get back from the hydrogen produced. You don’t get that electricity for free. The more current you use to produce hydrogen the more load you put on the car’s engine through the alternator.

"You don't get that electricity for free. The more current you use to  produce hydrogen the more load you put on the car's engine through the alternator."

I think that is what they attempt to prove at this website: http://mb-…rogen.html

Honestly, do you honestly believe that bumblebee flight is not understood by physics? Were you educated in the early 30’s?? Were you went to school did they also teach Alchemy instead of Chemistry and Astrology instead of Astronomy?

Ignorance of a topic is not, nor will it ever be, proof that it is correct. Oh and about the bumblebees: http://eng-2k-web.engineering.cornell.edu/engrMagazine/magazine.cfm?issue=SUMMER2002&page_number=1&section=feature2

Is Cornell a good enough source for you?

Oh, and you don’t even need to use the search function on this forum there are many, many questions of this nature in the first 4 pages.

I think it’s pretty obvious by now that you have a vested interest (a.k.a. money) by continuing to push what is known to most of the intelligent civilized world as a total hoax… It ain’t gonna work.

If your “friend” buys one and reports to you that it works then your friend is one of the many gullible reasons why these scams (any of them) persist and have persisted for decades.

What is it that I’m supposedly pushing? Check out this website: “http://mb-soft.com/public2/hydrogen.html”,and then tell me what it is that I’m supposed to be pushing

A broken website that you’re copy pasting. Your first link works, but your subsequent posting of it has been wonked out by the board’s weird way of posting links

I stick with my comments. Anyone who continues to push this drivel has a vested interest in it; just as you’re doing yet again…
And I’m NOT going to check out the website because I already know exactly what it says; the same thing any one of dozens of others who promise the moon.

FYI. Popular Mechanics already tested this CRAP with 2 pickups and a dyno. I did not cut and paste the entire story but here’s the results of “hydrogen enhancement”.

THE DYNO SAYS: With the AquaTune adjusted according to the instructions, the test truck gave us 20 fewer horsepower and about a 20 percent poorer fuel economy.