Acura transmission problems 2003 & 2004 tl

I have 2 Acuras. In the last 3 weeks my TL 2004 transmission had to be replaced @ 118000 miles. Yesterday my wife’s TL 2003 transmission failed also. Her mileage is 94000 miles. I have owned Acuras and have never had a problem. I don’t know what to do other than repairing her car. Any thoughts our there?

2 For 2. This Is Mother Nature’s Way Of Telling You That If You Buy An Acura Then Plan On Transmission Repairs At Around 100,000 Miles.

These transmissions are not very reliable. Is an Acura made by Honda ?

You don’t know what to do other than repairing her car ? It’s too late this time, but an option for next time is to buy a different car make.

Did both transmissions suffer the same type of failure ? What went bad ?

CSA

Acura is Honda’s luxury division, so Acura is indeed made by Honda. Your cars were made during a bad era for Honda transmissions. Pretty much anything made by Honda during that time had early transmission failure problems, particularly the Odyssey minivans. It wasn’t uncommon for one of those vans to be on it’s fourth of fifth transmission at this mileage (and people talk bad about Chrysler). Maintenance will go a long way in preserving your new transmissions. A simple drain and fill every 20,000 to 30,000 miles, using only genuine Honda fluid, will maximize your tranny life expectancy. If you haven’t maintained your transmissions prior to this, you probably better start.

When the automatic transmission in most FWD cars fails, which is often, it usually sends them to the salvage yard as repair costs generally exceed the cars value and the owners seldom have the $3500 needed to replace the transmission…This is one of the reasons that pick-up trucks have become so popular…They cost less and last twice as long…

Are You The Cars’ Original Owner ? Some 03 & 04 TLs Have Been Recalled For Possible Over-Heating Automatic Transmission 2nd Gears Which Can Chip Or Break And Even Lock-Up The Transmission.

The recall included some 2003 TLs (3.2TL) and some 2004 TLs (in a certain VIN range).

If this has possibilities or leaves you wondering, get the VINs from both cars and call your dealer to have them checked for open recalls.

You stll didn’t say what has failed in these particular transmissions. Please tell if you know.

CSA

How often did you change the tranny fluid? There’s an exterior, screw-on ATF filter that sits right on top of the tranny, was this ever replaced? Did you ever tow anything with these cars?

This tranny is virtually the same as the one in my 2002 Odyssey. A lot of people have had major problems with these, especially the 2-3 and 3-4 shift. One theory is that the pressure sensors go bad over time and lead to poor shifts which destroys the clutches.

Another theory is that solenoid filter screens get plugged up. Yet another theory is that the tranny fluid gets too hot. Honda won’t really say what the main cause is and they never want to work on transmissions other than to completely replace them. Many Honda dealers don’t even know about the ATF filter. I’ll bet they never recommended changing yours.

You can read many stories similar to yours at acurazine.com or other Honda owners forums.

Yes, It’s the same problem. I have owned Acuras since 1988. I have never had a problem like this before.

Then again you could simply buy a manual transmission FWD and they lead long lives. It is beyond rare to have a failure prone manual transmission.

[b][i]C Noodles, You Say, “Yes, It’s the same problem. I have owned Acuras since 1988. I have never had a problem like this before.”

Please Explain The Exact Nature Of These Problems.[/i][/b]

Without this information, everybody can only make WA Guesses. We need your input.

CSA

CSA…

What exactly is a WA Guess ???

Thank you.

He, he, he :slight_smile:

Those were both from the years with faulty transmissions. Did you have the dealer replace it? You might ask Acura to cover the cost, at least in part. From Wikipedia:
“In many vehicles, the 5-speed automatic transmission failed: as the third clutch pack wore, particles blocked off oil passages and prevented the transmission from shifting or holding gears normally. The transmission would slip, fail to shift, or suddenly downshift and make the car come to a screeching halt from expressway speeds. This problem was highlighted in the Los Angeles Times in September 2002. Consumer Reports took note and gave the TL and CL the black spot, the worst rating for transmission reliability. In response to the recurring problem, the manufacturer extended the warranty covering the transmission to 7 yrs or 100,000 miles (160,000 km) on U.S.A. models. A class-action lawsuit was settled to extend the transmission warranty for U.S.A. owners or entities but not Canadian owners to 7.75 years for all 99 to 02 and some 03 by VIN. Transmissions replaced prior to March 2005 usually fail again. Transmissions replaced March 2005 and later include a redesigned third gear clutch pack reported to fix the problem.”

[b][i]BB, I Thought WAG Meant “Wild Automotive Guess,” No ?

;-)[/i][/b]

CSA

No, I did not have my 2004TL replace the trany. For the record, I called both Acura national customer service and my local dealer where I purchased the vehicles. Both places told me that the recall notices for the 2003-2004 models were VIN specific and my #s were not on the list, as I expected.

C Noodles, Please Explain The Exact Nature Of These Transmission Problems.

What are the symptoms and what are the official (unofficial) diagnoses ?

CSA

I have the same problem with my 2004 TL w/ manual tran. All of the sudden it wont go into reverse gear. All the other gears are shifting smoothly. Any thoughts what could be the problem? It only have 49k miles on it.

FYI you do not have to be the original owner to get recall work done.

That Is True, But It Often Takes Longer For A Manufacturer To Catch Up To An Individual Who Is Not The Original Owner. Original Owners Usually Receive Several Notices In A Timely Manner.

That’s why I asked.

It’s prudent for anybody purchasing second hand to check cars for recalls (and TSBs as well). I do both before purchasing a car.

CSA

Sheraz, 6-Speed Manual ? Are You Sure It’s Not Grinding When Shifted Into 3rd Or Hard To Shift Into 3rd Or Popping Out Of 3rd (. . . Wink, Wink)?

Looks like transmisssions (automatic and manual) are not the Honda strong suit. Some 04-07 TLs have these symptoms because of faulty 3rd gear sychronizer or 3-4 shift sleeves.

The fix is to replace the 3rd gear set and Honda District Parts and Service Managers or your Zone Office consider whether you are eligible for “goodwill” after your warranty has expired.

Another problem with transmissions in some 04 TLs also considered for goodwill after out of warranty has to do with 5th gear “vibration or drone.” A subframe dynamic damper kit is installed on vehicles in which a vibration is felt or drone is heard in 5th at about 1500rpm, between 50 and 60 mph. It can be more noticeable on an incline or while accelerating.

CSA

You need to be more precise. This requires a SWAG measurement (Scientific Wild-A****d Guess)

The 2004 Acura TL 6 speed manual transmission has a reverse lockout solenoid. Further research reveals that the solenoid receives power through fuse 18 in the under dash fuse box. The ECM/PCM provides the ground path for this solenoid so the software controls that solenoid. It appears the ECM/PCM activates the solenoid i.e. provides a ground path when the vehicle speed is above 10 MPH. Below 9 MPH the solenoid should be inactive and reverse can be selected.

One test you might do is to turn the ignition off; push in the clutch; shift into reverse; restart the engine; and see if you have reverse when you release the clutch. If so you might have a wiring or ECM problem. If you still cannot get reverse, the interlock mechanism may be jammed or the solenoid stuck. The solenoid and interlock plunger can be accessed from outside the transmission i.e. no R & R of transmission is necessary.

Hope that is for some help to you with this problem.