Acura tranny problem

Acuras have notorious problems with transmissions. I ahve a 2003 3.2TL Mine had a recall. They felt the prolem was 2nd gear apparently, and did somthing to oil it better. that ws at about 46K mi. Now at 85K 3rd gear seems to slip, the car revs way up without accelerating, and I have to take my foot off the gas for it to settle down, then it shifts to 4th. Is this likely to be covered by Acura? Is there a service bulletin about this? Or am I out of luck? It is long off warranty.

I’ll check my TSB’s when I get to the shop tomorrow for something on it. I dont recall anything specific on it. This is something a trans shop needs to troubleshoot with a scanner and a pressure guage to pin point the issue. A lot of shops are quick to yell, “overhaul” without taking the time to troubleshoot to see if there is another alternative such as an electrical issue.

transman

Acura/Honda did some tranny warranty extensions to around 100k miles in your vintage on some models. I would contact an Acura dealer and go from there.

Honda had a 3 year stretch from 2001 - 2004 (I think those were the years) with some tranny problems. Before and after that I haven’t heard of any other issues.

Thanks transman, I’m looking forward to that information! I hope the warranty is extended to 100k as suggested above since this feels like a significant repair. It’s only intermittent but the car sometimes revs high in 3rd gear and doesn’t shift to 4th easily then (it happens with the tiptronic engaged as well, but with that it will readily nudge into 4th).

I don’t know what’s wrong with your car, but I have a 95 jetta and it does the same thing. I had my transmission rebuilt at 62,000 miles.I have 90,000 miles on the car and the transmission is stuck in high gear.If anyone can get to the root of this promblem, permenantly, contact me at monicalmarks@yahoo.com

Can you check your TBS for a 95 jetta with transmission problems at 62,000 miles and 90,000 miles.I had it rebuilt at 62K miles and now it,s stuck in high gear at 90K miles. If you find anything contact me at monicalmarks@yahoo.com THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME