2019 Nissan Altima engine problems?

Where are problems with new Altima with new engine and transmission. Are they keeping them quiet?

How would problems have time to show up yet?

I don’t understand your question at all . Do you have a 2019 , are thinking about buying one and as Mr. Oldtimer says it is really to soon to have a clear picture. If you are concerned about buying one then look at something else.

Am inquiring about 2019 Altima ( not Volvo). Altima has terrible history of failed transmissions and engines.
They claim they just replaced both. New Altima has been out about a year now. I cannot get any feedback

so far as to the new replacements. Asking Car Complaints. Perhaps you misunderstood, my inquiry is not

on Volvo. By the way how is the Volvo? Is it current? Wonder how Chinese takeover will impact on quality.

If that bothers you why even consider an Altima , especially a new version without a track record. Do you not realize you are posting on Car Talk community forum.

Also you really should not have your email address on an open web site.

It’s just me but I am never buying a car with a snowmobile transmission (cvt) in it .

Of course you can’t, they’re mostly too new for something crazy to have happened yet. Are the 2019s even available anywhere yet? I think you’re stressing yourself out too much…if you’re that worried about the Nissan Altima, look at other brands and models.

btw,@VOLVO_V70 wasn’t asking if you had questions about Volvos, that’s what his username is :slight_smile: And when you ask a question on Car Complaints, they get kicked over to the Cartalk Forums, hence why the question ended up here

I’m almost certain the 2019 Altima has not yet shipped to private owners. We have not even had a media launch yet for it here in New England. Our partner site has zero complaints about the 2018 Altima. No repeat issues for the Altima engine going back four years either. If the Altima has engine issues, I’ve never heard the rumor. Altima is the second-leading selling midsize sedan in America and uses the same base engine as the top-selling non-truck vehicle in America, the Rogue. Neither has any reputation for engine failure I’ve every heard of and I make my living spreading those rumors (half-kidding). Nissan pioneered the CVT in mainstream vehicles. Plenty of chatter on that topic. Much of which (lately) is owners new to CVTs complaining the car feels funny.

Goreham: Altima history is full of Altima engine/ transmission failures- go to Consumer Affairs.com type in: Altima Problems
2012,13,14,15,16,17 they full of transmission and engine failures. They claim changed transmission/engine in 2018.

Wanted to find out what is happening? Nothing being published - hush is the word.

Why are you making this a problem for yourself ? It is obvious that you don’t trust Nissan so concentrate on other brands that you might feel better about.

5 Likes

Volvo V70: I try study most car brands being bought. A hobby I have is to study complaints and problems
of these vehicles. Did you study history of Volvo complaints before you bought? Chinese now own them

• have you tried to check if quality is down, of recent? This valuable car knowledge. For example, did you know

the 2017 Fusion had extensive electrical problems with many, many consumer complaints. I was not buying a

Fusion but I knew much about the problems - this what I do.

FWIW, Consumer Reports’ 2018 annual car issue (April) has reliability ratings based on surveys of owners. The present Altima debuted in 2013. Its Engine Major and Engine Minor and Engine Cooling systems stats show much better than average reliability for 2013 through 2017. Transmission Major and Transmission Minor range from average to better than average to much better than average for 2013-2017. CR’s overall predicted reliability for the 2018 Altima is better than average.

I don’t know of any data on long term car reliability that is better researched and more authoritative than what CR provides. Suggestions, anyone? JD Power?

1 Like

I thought hobbies were supposed to relax a person and be enjoyable. Not make you paranoid.

5 Likes

Your hobby is researching cars you have no intention of buying? then if you can not find nonexistent or not yet available information you ask others for this info. And saying Nissan is covering up info on a model year that isn’t even being sold yet. I think you need a new hobby. Or at least something productive to spend your time on.

5 Likes

John Tucker made reference to a site called ’ Consumer Affairs ’ . I looked at it and it is a for profit site that charges companies to belong and carries ads . They claim that complaints posted on their site are then forwarded to the company being complained about. Good Greif , a person can contact a company on their own . I saw no reason to value anything one might find on that site.

Volvo V70 / PvtPublic

You berate Consumer Affairs by saying they are for profit, then tell me why would they be

posting derogatory claims by consumers? According to you, comments would all be positive,

as is not the case - this evidence that reports are reliable.

Re Consumer Reports, I find them too generalized and dont believe they get individual comments

from consumers. Their magazine does not invite consumers to send in comments - this is

indicative evidence that their info not coming from individual consumers.

For example, in 2015 Subaru Forrester was burning quarts of oil. There was not a single comment

by Consumer Reports. It was reported by Car Complaints and Consumer Affairs.

I would not buy a car based on reports by Consumer Reports - this what my research shows.

Re asking others for info, I cannot find, why is that wrong? Seems illogical for one not to

seek information from others “out there”. In other words, you saying do not extend your

search for information - it does not make sense to limit your search - what kind of

thinking is that?

You don’t understand how Consumer Reports works. Their reliability ratings are based completely on surveys filled out by subscribers (like me). They ask specific questions about each area, like engine and transmission. If their results differ from “Consumer Affairs”, I trust Consumer Reports.

You mistake “some XXX cars have problems” with “all XXX cars have problems”.

It is obvious you have not learned how CR conducts their surveys of car owners. You have decided to dismiss their findings, without understanding their basis.

CR had an article a couple years back about owner complaints of excess oil consumption. Several brands and models, according to CR’s survey data, had this problem.

Texases: Problem with that is that all complainants are not subscribers thus surveys are incomplete.
They not getting surveys from non subscribers. The guy with the 2015 Forrester burning oil, was

not a subscriber.

Obviously. But if they have, say, 500 responses from Forester owners, and 3.2% of them have problem X, then they have the data needed to compare it to other brands to see if Foresters are more or less likely to have that problem.