2019 Nissan Altima engine problems?

Not true!
Sometime last year, CR noted that there had been reports of excessive oil consumption with some late-model Audis, BMWs, and Subarus. This was in a regular monthly issue, and was not part of the annual Reliabilty Ratings in their April issue.

Shanonia : Yes, I happened to be aware of that article but you know what - that article was posted way, way too late
after complaints were well distributed throughout. In other words, they did not. advise buyers ahead of time - they way too slow

and ineffective - people continued buying car, unbeknownst to them.

Why didn’t CR report on bad history of Altimas’ transmission and engine failures? Am not sure if still aware of it.

CR’s advice is based upon their analysis of surveys they do of their readers.

Too late for some, but they do not publish advice before collecting and analyzing data.

1 Like

Look, my research shows that CR method of collecting real live information from consumers is:
outdated, slow and ineffective, as compared to other agencies. If you feel they well serve consumers and

you, continue your subscription.

[quote=“shanonia, post:12, topic:121854”]
I don’t know of any data on long term car reliability that is better researched and more authoritative than what CR provides. Suggestions, anyone? JD Power?
[/quote

What other agencies should we rely on, and why?

Shanonia: Try these and compare with CR : Car Complaints.com & Consumer Affairs.

Let’s steer this conversation to a more realistic topic. The all-new 2019 Altima has not yet been released. Thus, a campaign to quiet rumors of its poor quality makes zero sense.

1 Like

John, I am asking for your description of the agencies you deem more worthy, and reasons why. Thank you for naming them.

Goreham : I know this and am leery - thats why put question out there to Guru. Nissan claims they changed engine
and transmission for 2018 - I cannot find any feed back. “NO COMPLAINTS” has been listed by Car Complaints

all year so far - Nissan keeping secret of what happening and reporting agencies keeping quiet?

Now, while on Car Complaints, investigate back years Altima - you will see bad history.

No argument here. But that was not the topic of your post. Every automaker has a model that has had trouble at some point in the past. You asked about a year make and model and indicate there is a campaign to hide negative information. There isn’t.

1 Like

Sites that count complaints have no consistent way to compare between cars. Without having a ‘problem/1000 cars’ kind of measure, who knows what it means?

What is your source for this information?

They post anything that is sent to them and it does not appear they do any actual research . Just like Car Complaints , people can post anything they want even if they don’t know what they are talking about.

Just like the person who posted here recently about his new car cruise control did not work and his car did not even have cruise control .

1 Like

If you are that risk averse, why don’t you just get a Honda Accord or a Toyota Camry ?

Look, somebody clearly has a reading comprehension problem and–hint, hint–it isn’t me.
If you re-read what I posted, CR’s comment about high oil consumption with certain models was not a part of their information-gathering/reliability-reporting from consumers.

Wasn’t that ironic?
And, that uninformed car owner was nasty and abusive to some of us before he finally figured out that he was wrong about his own car.
:thinking:

1 Like

This is incorrect. I just looked it up on CR on line. The complaints about excess oil consumption were in data in CR’s 2014 annual auto survey. They published the article, including a “Thirsty Thirty” list of models, on June 30, 2015 and in the August 2015 issue of CR.

Just to provide another talking point. Have you considered that at least a fair number of complaints about their cars are from people who have self inflicted problems?

Example. The lady a few years back who never changed the motor oil in her bought from new Nissan Altima and at some point the engine gave up.
She was upset because warranty would not pay for the repairs and insisted that “an Altima engine should not give up so easily” (30k miles) just because of coagulated motor oil. No one could convince her that the problem was her; not Nissan.

2 Likes

The engines on the Altima were the same from 2002 until 2018. They are both used in several other Nissan vehicles have been for some time. They don’t have a bad reputation or a bad history. I can’t speak on the CVT transmissions they’ve been using in recent years though. Where are you getting information claiming that Nissan’s VQ engines have a history of failure?

The new variable compression turbo I4 on the 2019 Altima is too new to have any history

I think John Tucker has left the building . I hope it was to find a different hobby.