Nissan Altima

I heard some of the 2009 Nissan Altima have an engine noise problem. Is this true? If so, what is causing the noise and would you recommend purchasing a new Atlima?

Where did you hear about this “problem?” Have you driven an Altima? Did you hear any unusual engine noise?

The Altima continues to be a highly-rated car. One of the best in its class. I don’t see any reason to avoid one based on unsubstantiated rumors.

I assume you mean that you’ve heard that '09 Altimas have more engine noise than most?

Forget what you’ve heard. Take an Altima on a long test drive the way you’d normally drive it and see if it sounds too noisy for YOUR tastes.

I’ll be the first to admit that my Scion tC transmits more road noise than, say, a Camry and that under heavy acceleration it transmits more engine noise (I believe it to be valvetrani noise) than most. But I love the car. And it’s completely free of other noises like squeaks and rattles and resonances. The noises I hear are just part of the car design.

The Altima is highly rated by Consumer Reports. While CR notes that the equally high-rated Honda Accord suffers from a high level of road noise, they do not note that problem for the Altima.

Who told you that the Altima “has an engine noise problem”? Perhaps you should consult reliable, unbiased sources such as CR.