2019 Hyundai Santa Fe - Peeling paint

My wife and I have a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe and it is peeling on the doors, bonnet, fenders, and roof. This situation denotes what is a factory defect in the paint application process. I would like to know if anyone has information on any class action.

Sadly enough you are dealing with a company that is having a hard tome replacing all the junk engines that are locking up, sorry to say you are probably out of luck on the paint peeling… Plus they will probably say you didn’t take care of the paint according to X plan or something…

This is what I found with a quick Google…

Will Hyundai cover peeling paint?

Hyundai’s paint warranty covers your car for 3 years / 36,000 miles. Unfortunately, this paint warranty does not include coverage for any surface rust, so if your paint job is starting to show rust spots, you are out of luck

Your terminology indicates you are in Great Britain. Your warranty and British Consumer Protection laws may be different than in the US.
I would suggest you use Google for information about any class action suits.
Frankly I doubt it.

1 Like

Suggest to first check if there are any paint-related recalls on this vehicle. Google will give you some links to websites used to research recalls. Start with the national highway transportation website.

Do a web search for “Hyundai peeling paint class action” and see what you find. I found a lot of links. Here’s one of them, and its only for MY2017 and MY2018. Contact Hyundai to see what remedy they might offer. Maybe your year might be included eventually.

1 Like

Does The UK–where the OP is presumably located–permit Class Action lawsuits?
I don’t know, but perhaps the OP can enlighten me.

1 Like

Don’t know, don’t care. The OP came to a US site to ask questions and should expect US-centric answers. I hope that the OP can translate that into UK equivalent situations.

2 Likes

Like everything else across the pond, it’s complicated. Google competition appeal tribunal. If one is not already ongoing, it will be a long term issue. After some years and solicitor fees paid, just an extended warranty but usually a provision for reimbursement. So if it were me, see the dealer and if no response, take many pictures and get it repainted. Keep receipts for maybe reimbursement. Speaking of terminology though, I forget, is the bonnet the hood or trunk? Doesn’t mater. The paint and primer is compromised so needs to be taken down to bare metal and repainted, or drive around with peeling paint.

The bonnet is the hood

The boot is the trunk

2 Likes

… and what we call a fender is referred-to as a “wing” in The UK.
Also, our “muffler” is a “silencer” over there. There are other differences, but I don’t recall them right now.

Tyre rather than tire.

Mind your head folks, mind your head. I still want to know how they can get by with not refrigerating milk? Just sits around at room temperature.

Mid-60s, the milkman would deliver our family’s milk to our front porch, might sit there all day, so room temp milk apparently lasts some time ok. Even as a kid, I’ve never enjoyed drinking milk. Tastes “icky” imo. For some reason they forced us to drink a cup of milk twice a day in kindergarten, always the worse part of the day. Worse, then they’d make us take a nap. Sleeping in the middle of the day? Too much on my day-light needing agenda to sleep in daylight hours. I’ve been opposed to milk-drinking and naps ever since … lol …

Yeah I’m not fan either and don’t like kidney stones. In grade school we had the milk machine and milk break. It was a penny for a carton of milk. Might have raised the price a nickel later but don’t remember. Sometimes they would have chocolate if we were lucky. The worst was sometimes it was old and bordered on sour. Pretty much had to line up for so no ducking out. Now I believe it was part of a government surplus program or something. So I started being wary of government very early. Kinda like the free cheese give away that I heard about.

I don’t know about the uk though. I think it is not pasteurized like ours. Seemed like it was like the milk we would sometimes get from a farm dairy. Can’t do that anymore but this was the 50s.

Back to the OP, it was originally posted in the “Ask Someone” category, which rarely results in the poster returning to acknowledge comments.

1 Like

Did you notice that, “on the continent”, mayonnaise sits around at room temperature? I’m not sure whether they do that in The UK, but it is standard practice in France, Belgium, and The Netherlands.

Milk has to be consumed quickly if it sits on a counter. I used to work with a Russian expat. He worked at a cosmodrome and they didn’t have refrigerators. They sat their lunches on their desks for hours without problems.

Europeans don’t refrigerate eggs either. They don’t wash off the protective membrane as we do in the US. Retaining the membrane protects the egg from bacteria. They wash the eggs before using them. Still, they have to use them quickly. We can keep ours in the fridge for up to a month.

Now that I think about it, when I was in HS, my brown bag lunch usually sat in my locker for at least 4 hours before I got a chance to eat it. I never got sick, but maybe I was just very lucky.

Is your message to the OP an explanation as to why he is receiving messages about milk and eggs? These people seem to know a lot about automotive finishes.

I take it your comment is in jest.
My comment is in light of no response from the OP about location and warranty coverage in their country.
Unfortunately common of posters under the “Ask Someone” section.