2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport - anybody else have peeling paint?

Our Frost White Santa Fe Sport just started to peel on the front of the hood, down to the primer. The paint appears to be coming loose and I’m taking it to Hyundai this week. Anyone else have this problem on a 2013. I’ve seen that 2012’s also have peeling paint.

1 Like

How often do you wash and wax the car?

What climate do you live in?

moderate?

Or the southwest?

I live in the southwest, and it is brutal for car paint, especially for those vehicles that rarely get washed and waxed

I wash the car every few weeks. It does not get all that dirty. Never been waxed. We live half the year in MD and the winter in FL. We had just come a trip to Kansas when the paint began to peel. It is garaged in MD.

Some guys get away with never waxing a car

Some don’t

I advise you to talk to a reputable body shop . . . maybe there’s a way for them to repaint the hood only, but so that it matches the rest of the car.

Maybe there is a paint defect, but if Hyundai finds out you never waxed the car, I wouldn’t expect them to offer financial help to fix the problem

You are not the only Hyundai owner with paint problems;

You are supposed to wax your car at least twice a year but I have met people who have never waxed their vehicles ever since they bought them new. My landlord for example has never done it in his 2005 Toyota Sienna. In fact, he almost never wash his car and the paint is fine.

I live in the West Coast, and while cars over here are safe from rust I have seen plenty with clear coat failure.

I have two black vehicles with clear coat failure, one is in the early stages but the other one looks like a beater and the paint is already looking dull.

You can slow down clear coat failure a bit if you wax the car regularly and park in shade. I was able to keep my car looking fairly decent or a very long time, until I left it with my mechanic, who took an eternity to fix my car and let it sit under the sun for weeks and weeks. From then, I just stopped to care about it.

I rarely wax my silver colored Mazda 6 and the paint is fine, just like my landlord’s silver Sienna. But… you are supposed to wax.

You can repaint the whole car, or just the panel where the paint is bad but it will not match the rest of the panels. You can also use Plastidip or Duplicolor’s removable type spray paint. You can just peel it off anytime.

That’s what I did with one of my cars.

I disagree , we had the entire 1/3 rear driver side redone after someone backed into it. It looked perfect when we got it back from the collision center and still does 4 years later. This is a bright Red Volvo .

The car is 5 or 6 years old. No reason to go to a dealer to have paint work done, but you can.

Most car manufacturers give paint warranty that is included in the bumper-to-bumper part of the warranty, not the drive-train part. I’m not sure about Hyundai, but I really doubt there’d be any warranty coverage for paint on a car of that age.

Some manufacturers have coverage on the body panels that goes beyond bumper, but the ones I’ve seen have to have corrosion perforation of the metal itself (not caused by the owner).

As others have pointed out, the vehicle should have had the paint sealed once in a while with wax/polish.

Exactly what does your Hyundai Owner’s Manual have to say in regard to care of the painted surfaces and in regard to the paint warranty? You should have been supplied with this information.
:evergreen_tree::slightly_smiling_face::evergreen_tree:
CSA

Information I’m finding indicates the typical Hyundai paint warranty goes for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

That certainly does not prevent anybody from paying to have painted panels refinished to match. A reputable shop should be able to refinish it so that it looks like new.
CSA

Someone who knows what he is doing may do his best to match the paint but a lot of factors can make it really hard to do so. Exposure to the elements and failure to protect your car’s finish is one of them, even if you get the color code to match.

You can paint a panel and save money. It may or may not come out great… or maybe the difference is too small to be noticed. If you are okay with this then you can go this route, but I have seen plenty of people complaining about this.

So just because it came out great for you doesn’t mean it will always come out great for other cars. :sunglasses:
Maybe you took really good care of your red Volvo but a lot of people never wax their cars.

Where I live, in the SF Bay Area, most people just drive their vehicles through an automatic car wash and call it a day.

The vehicle in question needs the hood painted. It shouldn’t be a problem. Where there’s a chance of matching problems it’s usually a panel in the middle of other panels, say a door, etcetera.

Besides, even insurance companies will pay for “blending” whereby parts of adjacent panels are blended in to be sure the repainted panels are not obvious.

Lots of these automatic wash joints let customers purchase wax/sealer and that stuff does something. The finish is quite shiny and water beads like crazy after it’s applied.
CSA

That would be important on a brand new car

This car is 5 years old, so there’s a lot more involved than just knowing the color code

The rest of the car’s paint isn’t new, either, and the hood would have to match the rest of the car

We have a 2014 Frost White Hyundai Santa Fe that’s peeling all over the hood down to the primer and starting on the roof! Did you have any success with Hyundai? We’ve been getting the run around with our dealership!

I certainly hope you are not expecting Hyundai to compensate you for this cosmetic issue with a six year old vehicle.