2018 Hyundai Sonata - Paint peeling

2018 White Sonata. 54k miles. Paint peeling off at roof

What did the folks at Hyundai’s corporate-level Customer Service Office tell you when you phoned/wrote to them about this issue?

Hyundai’s paint warranty is 36 mo./36k so you’re probably out of luck. You can try contacting Hyundai corporate and see if they’ll do something as a matter of goodwill but legally they have no obligation.

Check these out. You aren’t the only one complaining.

3 Likes

As nice as class actions sound, if the dealer will do nothing you will need to have a paint shop remove down to bare metal and repaint. Kept the receipt for the $2000 bill in case it ever gets resolved in court. They always have provisions for folks that have already paid. Likely get a $500 coupon to spend at the dealer five years from now after attourney fees. I never got a dime from any class action but still waiting for resolution for 15 years on one.

1 Like

Sorry you are having this difficulty. Hopefully the manufacturer will offer some help. Once the affected section is repainted, suggest to keep the surface protected & in good appearance by:

• Rinse dust/dirt off the best you can with a garden hose once a week. Avoid washing w/soap unless necessary, as soap will remove previously applied wax.

• Wash thoroughly with soap & warm water, followed by wax or similar paint protection at least twice per year. I use Nu Finish in the spring and the basic version of Turtle Wax in the fall.

• Try to park in shade when possible.

Happened with my car too.
2018 sonata. White. 49k miles.

1 Like

That looks bad, esp for a newish car. Neither of my vehicles (30 & 50 years old) have any paint problems like that. Something is definitely amiss. Just curious, hard to tell by the photo, what’s the appx dimensions of that missing paint area ?

Same issue 2018 Sonata, barely 25k miles

this seems to be an issue with a number of cars and a lot of them seem to be white for some reason . I know even makes like Toyota have had peeling paint issue .

We’ll car manufacturers don’t make their paint but buy it. Never know who from but possible the same paint. I think the problem though is the primer and not getting good adhesion.